Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chinese spambot  (Read 788 times)

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
Chinese spambot
« on: July 21, 2022, 03:07:35 am »
Chinese spambot surpassed 100 posts and will reach the rank of Caesar in less than 10 hours. Maybe some restrictions can be introduced so that this situation does not repeat itself? Limiting the creation of new threads for new users to three? Or something like that?

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Chinese spambot
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 04:45:59 am »
Hi DZ,

Thanks for pointing this out.

Wow! He (or it) should win the award for the most enthusiastic new Forum member. Of course, I am just kidding. :)

To borrow a quote from Robert Heinlein's book "Tunnel in the Sky": "Beware of stobor". :)

I am a moderator of a few Forum sections, but I am not an admin. Consequently, I can't take care of this situation. I am sure that owner Joe will take care of it when he sees it.

Meepzorp

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 05:04:25 am »
Korean, actually.  So weird!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 07:21:50 am »
I tried merging all the posts but gave up after about 20.  Unfortunately my moderator permissions don't allow me to ban or remove posts,

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 09:04:04 am »
Moderators should have a remove button on topics and threads on the board(s) they moderate. If you are not seeing one, please let me know. Moderators don't need my permission to delete SPAM. They can do that anytime.

I do want to be informed of the username so I can ban the spammer (by using the report to the moderator link (on one post), private message, email, phone or text). Anyone can do that, not just a moderator. Normally, I get a dozen reports when someone SPAMs.

I can delete ALL their topics and posts at one time when I delete their account, so if there are a lot, it might not be worth your time to delete them individually. I do this as soon as I seen the reports. SPAM does not usually last long on FORVM and the spammers get banned and deleted.

I added a screenshot of my delete options. Of course mine have everything, but I think moderators should have similar if they are looking on a board they moderate.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 09:14:15 am »
but I think moderators should have similar if they are looking on a board they moderate.

Confirmed. I have both options.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 09:20:47 am »
Good. Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 09:22:08 pm »
but I think moderators should have similar if they are looking on a board they moderate.

Confirmed. I have both options.

Hi folks,

I also have both of those options in the sections ("boards") of Forum that I moderate.

However, as Joe pointed out above, many times, it is better NOT to delete posts because Joe won't see it before it is deleted. He may need to ban that member. And he can't properly make that decision without actually seeing the post(s). When I am in that situation, that is the reason why I typically don't delete the post. But I send a PM to Joe alerting him to it. That way, he can make the decision to ban the poster.

Meepzorp

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 04:37:41 pm »
I don't have remove or lock permissions on my board Joe.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 06:06:12 pm »
Ron,
Did you click on a post to look? I mention just in case you were looking at the thread list page. I am moderator on one section that gets almost no traffic and I have those options available to me on open posts at the bottom. I have never seen spam there, but, like I said, a very inactive board.

On that Korean spam, I never saw any of it, so someone removed them fairly quickly. And I tend to look at all of the boards for new posts almost every day.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 01:35:14 pm »
I can. Move. Set to sticky, and merge. That's it. So some moderator functions, but not all.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 02:41:52 pm »
I can. Move. Set to sticky, and merge. That's it. So some moderator functions, but not all.

Are you for sure in your area of moderation? I also see here the buttons move sticky and merge, although I am a moderator only in the Polish forum where I see also remove and lock buttons.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2022, 02:50:46 pm »
Yes, I am definitely checking in my forum area :)

I can delete and lock the threads I started myself, but not any others.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity