Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 143746 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #850 on: September 27, 2021, 08:55:57 pm »
Nice sand "patina"

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #851 on: October 20, 2021, 09:56:44 am »
JUDAEA, Ascalon. Hadrian 131-32 AD Tyche-Astarte

Reference.
RPC III 4008; Sofaer 129; Yashin 183

Issue Year 224

Obv. ϹƐΒΑϹΤΟϹ
Laureate head of Hadrian, left

Rev. ΑϹΚΑΛΩ
Tyche-Astarte standing, l., on prow with standard and aphlaston; in l. field, incense altar; in r. field, dove standing l.; to r., ΔKC

9.28 gr
24 mm
12h
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=172689
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #852 on: November 23, 2021, 07:49:37 pm »
My Forum purchase of the day. I am normally Byzantine but this one had something very cool about it.

Kingdom of Bosporus, Rheskuporis V (VI), 314 - 342 A.D., Constantine the Great Reverse

98038. Billon stater, MacDonald 679/1; Anokhin 769; BMC Pontus pl. XVIII 12 (not in text), VF, dark brown patina, 8.230g, 20.6mm, 0o, Pantikapaion (Kerch, Crimea) mint, 323 - 324 A.D.; obverse BACILEVC PHCKOVPOPIDOC, diademed and draped bust of Rheskuporis right, wreath of pellets (control symbol) right; reverse laureate and draped bust of the Roman emperor Constantine the great right, K-X ([year] 620 [of the Bosporan Era]) divided across fied.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #853 on: November 23, 2021, 08:21:22 pm »
Nice coin, I had looked at it a few times in the shop. The thing that got my attention was the crude portrait on the obverse that made me think at first it was a barbaric coin. Very cool coin.

Virgil

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #854 on: November 23, 2021, 09:05:41 pm »
Nice, I have one coming sometime next week with Diocletian & got it because of the crude style.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #855 on: November 24, 2021, 05:27:00 am »
very nice indeed Simon
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #856 on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:02 pm »
So, I have been looking admirably at this coin for a while in the Forum store. One of my main areas of interest is the Turkish Black Sea area, of which Amisos is a part. The sale going on now in the store made me pull the trigger. This is the Forum picture and is probably way better that I could take. I don't have it in hand yet, but look forward to it, it looks beautiful and in really nice condition. It will be my first of this particular type. This is just one of those coins that speaks to me, plus I have been to Amisos, or modern day Samsun.

Bronze AE 17, SNG Stancomb 692; SNG Black Sea 1194; Rec Gen p. 53, 25; HGC 7 251 (R); BMC Pontus p. 18, 57, VF, highlighting earthen deposits, off center, Amisos (Samsun, Turkey) mint, weight 3.711g, maximum diameter 16.7mm, die axis 30o, c. 85 - 65 B.C.; obverse head of Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath; reverse thyrsos, bell attached with fillet, AMI-ΣOY flanking across field, ΩΠA monogram lower left.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #857 on: November 24, 2021, 09:52:16 pm »
Lovely addition

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
« Reply #858 on: December 02, 2021, 02:27:49 pm »
Wow! Really nice  :)
Steve Moulding
New York

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #859 on: December 06, 2021, 12:01:30 am »
Maximian: "Post-Reform Radiate," ca 295 - 299 AD, Cyzicus mint.

Obverse: IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG  /  Radiate bust of Maximian.

Reverse: CONCORDIA MILITVM   /  Maximian standing, receiving globe (surmounted by Victory) from Jupiter, also standing and holding sceptre.

Mint mark: KE

3.94 gm.,  20 mm.                      RIC #16b; Sear #13315.

Thanks, Joe.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #860 on: December 06, 2021, 12:09:09 am »
Very nice!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #861 on: December 06, 2021, 02:48:40 pm »
Nice pic. Thanks for the order.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #862 on: December 07, 2021, 11:21:53 am »
Nice pic. Thanks for the order.

Thanks for the "Nice pic" comment. I find coins with this type of patina are fairly easy to photograph.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #863 on: December 14, 2021, 07:50:41 pm »
not a coin, but here is my latest forum purchase of the day - thanks Joe and team!!

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #864 on: December 28, 2021, 06:37:37 pm »
So, amongst my Christmas presents from my wife were three rather inexpensive coins from Forum. We are at that age where we tell the other what we want and I picked out three widely varying coins that cover aspects of my fairly wide interest in ancients. Where I diverge from ancients is Crusader era Byzantine and Crusader States. This is my second coin from the Frankish Principality of Achaea, I have one other of these (Philip I of Taranto) and may look to fill out this collection over time. These Greek Crusader state coins are more affordable than many others. But, and I know this is crazy, I wanted this Maud of Hainault coin because the best dog in the world (I being her human, of course) is named Maude. So many reasons to get a coin. I have said before, I do like these medieval hammered coins and this is a nice example. Plus, coins issued under female authority I like.

Billon denier tournois, Malloy Crusaders 43; Metcalf Crusades type MA2, VF, toned, clashed dies, edge ragged with small splits, Clarentza(?) mint, weight 0.935g, maximum diameter 21.2mm, die axis 225o, 1316 - 1318; obverse + MAhAVTA•P Ach, cross pattée within inner border; reverse DE CLARENCIA, castle tournois surmounted by cross dividing legend, surmounted by cross, C left; from the Louis G Estate

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #865 on: January 16, 2022, 07:27:37 pm »
Here is another one. Just got it. Not necessarily pristine, but I like it and it is from a mint I had never heard of before as I was perusing new additions to the Forum store. This one is also a later date than I usually get for the Turkish minted coins. I find it rather attractive and I am always drawn to the Asian Artemis. I would probably have purchased it just for that. I have it in hand, but am using Forum photo because it is much better than I tend to do.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #866 on: February 18, 2022, 07:27:01 pm »
This is a recent acquisition from Forum. My interests range widely and Crusader coins are in my mix. I have always wanted one of these, one of only five (I believe) coins minted for the Lordship of Tyre, from Phillip and later John of Monfort.

This coin looks better in hand than in the picture. I do not buy for rarity, but that doesn't stop me from buying a coin I want.

Copper pougeoise, Malloy Crusaders p. 144, 2 (noted stops var.); Schlumberger pl. V, 14; Slocum Collection 333; Metcalf Crusaders, F, rough, corrosion, edge splits, Phoenicia, Tyre (Lebanon) mint, weight 0.534g, maximum diameter 15.0mm, die axis 45o, 1246 - 1270; obverse :+: PhELIPE, cross; reverse + DE SVR, Cathedral of Tyre: a four column temple with a rounded doorway; very rare;

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #867 on: February 18, 2022, 07:31:26 pm »
Nice pick up.  I'm alway pleased with Joe's coins, always better than the photo.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #868 on: February 18, 2022, 07:51:17 pm »
Yes, my coins in hand almost always look better than the photos, and the photos are all quite good at the same time.

Virgil

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #869 on: February 23, 2022, 06:10:23 pm »
Here is another one. Just got it. Not necessarily pristine, but I like it and it is from a mint I had never heard of before as I was perusing new additions to the Forum store. This one is also a later date than I usually get for the Turkish minted coins. I find it rather attractive and I am always drawn to the Asian Artemis. I would probably have purchased it just for that. I have it in hand, but am using Forum photo because it is much better than I tend to do.

Cheers,
Virgil

Beautiful coin Virgil, I agree it is attractive.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #870 on: March 14, 2022, 10:03:03 pm »
picked up this beauty from Joe recently.  Very happy with this nicely toned denarius.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175017

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #871 on: March 15, 2022, 01:03:56 pm »
Even I quite like it. Is there any reason why Mart Vic ( does it have to have a reason?) Old sept sev was a battler, pity his sons were such tossers, but that's life! I once had a few Septs but i think i deleted all pics  of my 65+ coins for NewStyles!
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #872 on: March 15, 2022, 08:22:51 pm »
Since few roman coin reverses were actually documented, much of the logic behind their meaning is scholarly guess work.  The dictionary of Roman Coins, one of the few references to discuss reverse motif meanings has this to say about the Marti Victori reverse:

MARTI VICTORI.----In noticing this legend of Pescennius Niger, Vaillant (Pr. ii. 204) observes that Mars, in his quality of presiding over war seems to have had the cognomen of Victor assigned to him; and that, as the coins bearing that epigraph denote, it is probable that Pescennius performed sacrifices to the God of Battles, propitiating his aid to gain the hoped-for victory over Severus-a rival who, however, proved to be his conqueror.

While the description refers to a Pescenius Niger type, Septimius' celators adopted the same motif and Severus used the reverse sparsely between 198 and 202.  During that period, Septimius waged a series of campaigns against the Parthians, so it likely refers to a devotional relationship between the emperor and the god to secure further Parthian victories.

After 202, the type went out of use and Severus' campaigning shifted to north Africa.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #873 on: March 15, 2022, 08:27:58 pm »
Nice coin Congrats.

Here is my latest from Forum. My first for this kingdom but very attractive.

Parthian Empire, Orodes II, 57 - 38 B.C.

96023. Silver drachm, Sellwood 47.9; Shore 241; SNG Cop 100; BMC Parthia p. 88, 173; Sunrise 373, EF, light rose tone on luster, excellent portrait, light marks, irregular flan shape, 3.647g, 20.3mm, 0o, Mithradatkart (near Askabad in Turkmenistan) mint, 50 - 42 B.C.; obverse bearded and diademed bust left, short beard, torque ends in pellet, star upper left, crescent upper right; reverse BASILEWS / BASILEWN - ARSAKOU - EUERGETOU / DIKAIOU - EPIFANOUS / FILELLHNOS (slightly blundered), archer wearing bashlyk and cloak seated right on throne, bow in right,  (Mithradatkart monogram) below bow, squared seven-line legend around; from the Errett Bishop Collection

Many Thanks to the staff of Forum for this one.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #874 on: June 21, 2022, 09:00:13 pm »
I haven't posted here in a while, but have bought a few coins. Here is one from a Pontos mint I didn't have and is rare. Not necessarily the best condition ever, but I love it and the price was right. It is very nice in hand. Joe got in a few from Pontos/Phaphlognia in past few weeks and I grabbed a couple, including one from Sinope in addition to this one.

Bronze AE 22, SNG BM 1268; SNG Stancomb 718; BMC Pontus p. 30, 2; Rec Gen p. 83, 6; HGC 7 266 (R1), gF, dark green patina, porosity/pitting, scratches, overstruck, Pontus, Gaziura (possibly Turhal, Turkey) mint, weight 7.657g, maximum diameter 21.5mm, die axis 0o, under Mithradates VI, c. 105 - 85 B.C.; obverse head of Ares right in crested helmet; reverse sword in sheath with strap, ΓAZI-OYPΩN divided across field; rare.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity