Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Phoenicia Arados - Bronze

<< < (30/32) > >>

Arados:
Bit of fun  ;D

I can assure the reader that this is not a metal detector find.

I acquired this 3 years ago during a trip to Thailand, I think the weight is around 84kg (185 pounds or 13,2 stones). Unfortunately I do not have an image of the obverse, I apologise if this is a violation of Forvm rules. Are there any board members who can help me with identification and [Removed by Admin  8)] ?

The tattoo parlour assured me that it was genuine  ::)

djmacdo:
Does it have a second side.  Glad to hear you have the expert authority of a Thai tattoo shop to rely upon.

Arados:
I think it could get quite messy and painful if I was to show the other side  ;D

djmacdo:
Good place to go for Greek coins, Thailand.  I get most of my Buddha statues from Iceland.

Arados:
Forvm friends, please feel free to offer your thoughts and observations regarding the coin type below. These coins are super rare with only two known museum samples, one residing in the BNF collection and the other belonging to the British museum. I have posted here in my Bronze thread simply because i suspect all of the coins are fourrée (bronze core).

The coin (no. ADX) in my collection has a slightly concave reverse and exhibits the usual features of a struck flan (no apparent signs of casting), there are also minute traces of silvering indicating a fourrée. The flan edge varies in thickness and a test nick is visible to the left of the chain hole above Poseidon’s head. The iconographic details on both the obverse and reverse seem convincing and look accurate for the suggested era date. Significant differences in flan size and weight can be ascertained when compared to the BNF and BNC samples.

When studying the available imagery of the afore-mentioned coins, both appear to show signs of plating (silvering); more so on the BNF coin (btv1b8535407z). Note also that the BMC coin was suspected as being a counterfeit. G. F. Hill gave his own observation which when roughly translated from the Duyrat 2005 publication reads as follows; G.F. Hill notes that the extreme rarity of these coins caused the BMC to classify their own coin has a counterfeit. Rarity alone should not be a decisive indicator of a coin’s authenticity; perhaps suspicions were raised when the BMC coin was studied in closer detail.

Phoenicia, Arados 174-173 B.C

AR 39.37mm (Thickness 2.50mm), weight 21.45g, die axis = 12h (0 degrees),  Tetradrachm (Fourrée)

Obverse: Head of Poseidon right, wreathed with a marine plant; behind shoulder trident.

Reverse: Zeus standing left, wearing himation over left shoulder and lower part of body; in extended right hand is a winged thunderbolt; left hand resting on sceptre; at his feet palm tree; in left field IN and era date πς (86).

Ref: Duyrat 2005 Pg.70, No.2493-2494; BMC Phoenicia Pg.20, No.146, Pl.III 18.

BNF & BMC coins
2493  *D1-R1, Paris, BNF, Babelon no 964. 16,04 g, 31,6 mm, 12 h [Weight now given has 15.79 g on BNF website].
2494  *D1-R2, London, BM, BMC 146. 16,08 g, 33,0 mm, 12 h.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version