Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Latest Translation Project  (Read 1071 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Latest Translation Project
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:14:28 pm »
Well, it started out a couple of weeks ago when I was browsing through an old Numismatische Zeitschrift looking for useful stuff to extract and I came across what looked like a very interesting catalog of Lead Tesserae by Scholz (German). So I thought, that could be useful for someone and started to translate it. (about 1,900 entries)

During the translation, he mentioned some other authors', one being some articles by Rostovtsev, so when the Scholz was done, I found the three Rostovtsev articles (French) and translated the lists of tesserae in those.  (over 2,000 lead tesserae)

I also found Rostovtsev's old catalog of lead tesserae in the Paris Cabinet, so I thought I may as well do that as well. (824 lead tesserae)

Then I remembered that Scholz often referred to an Italian called Ruggiero who described the lead tesserae in the Kircheriano Museum. Having finished the Rostovtsev lists and catalog, I am now about halfway through the Ruggiero list (Italian). (2210 lead tesserae).

And when that's done, I think I may as well do the Ficoroni catalog as well !

The only thing I am wondering about is whether I should put them on archive.org in five parts, (all together they would be quite large and the numbers and plate numbers may become confusing), or stick a couple of them together or make them into one huge xls file (sorting them would be difficult, as obverse and reverse become confused)....

(Lead seals and other types of tesserae are not included, though I am looking at Belfort's article about AE tesserae as well. Problem with his articles is, that his AE tesserae do not have what I call reference numbers, it's just descriptions, so I would have to add numbers myself.

And of course the question is, will they be useful to anyone ???  :D

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Latest Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:31:29 am »
Helvetica:

I would be interested in the works which list Egyptian lead items. I already have the Rostovtsew and Prou catalog of the French collection (this has 1044 tokens and a supplement section), which looks different from the one you cite.

The Turin collection has a large Egyptian lead collection-- the 1883 book (by Fabretti, Rossi and Lanzone) is still in print. I can send the lead section to you.

The Egyptian lead pieces are interesting as they were locally produced and illustrate some different reverse types from the Alexandrian mint. They are often very worn and difficult to identify.

Iwaniw

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:07:23 pm »
Just did a quick text search in Word for Egypt and Nilus and found:

Scholz: (KS= Royal collection, Tr Trau, Fi Ficoroni)

No.   Obv   Rev            Source   mm
1322   CCP   Head of Egyptus with Uraeus serpent   Tr.   20
1491   IN, Head of Egyptos   RT, Fortuna   Fi.   18
1492   IN, Head of Egyptos   Female figure, holding trident   Fi.   18
1726   QSB   Head of Egyptus   Fi.   20
1078   Nilus recumbent right   Horseman   KS   18
1079   Nilus recumbent right   Laureate head   KS   14
1080   Nilus recumbent right, Victory standing before him   Helmeted bust, holding spear   KS   14

Rostovtsev
R.I, p. 490, 1   TKK (KK retrograde)downwards in centre, confronted heads of Isis and Egyptos   blank      17-20
R. III. p. 59   CYN B OLON around, Aphrodite standing, adjusting hairband, Eros holding torch at her side, serpent upright before her   ENA-TOY, triumphal arch inscribed H  surmounted by quadriga   Stolen from Athens museum   unknown dia.

Rostovtsev Paris collection
Loads of them, nos. 636-764

I don't want to start cutting bits out to separate them at this stage, as I want to get the Ruggiani finished (800 to go..)

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 01:40:08 pm »
Helvetica:

I would be interested in the works which list Egyptian lead items. I already have the Rostovtsew and Prou catalog of the French collection (this has 1044 tokens and a supplement section), which looks different from the one you cite.

The Turin collection has a large Egyptian lead collection-- the 1883 book (by Fabretti, Rossi and Lanzone) is still in print. I can send the lead section to you.

The Egyptian lead pieces are interesting as they were locally produced and illustrate some different reverse types from the Alexandrian mint. They are often very worn and difficult to identify.

Iwaniw

Iwaniw, I am very slowly working on a translation of the Turin collection. With regards to other articles, I am sure you are already familiar with Milne and the Cologne collection. In addition to that, I cannot overstate the value of the complete Dattari collection. He has easily a hundred more tesserae than are listed in the original volume. Unfortunately, these are not cataloged. That is a job I intend to undertake at a later date. The Rostowzew and Prou catalog is, I believe, the same which Helvetica is already translating. You will not find any Egyptian pieces in Rostowzew's other articles, though there are a few rare pieces with Egyptian types.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity