Antiquities Discussion Forums > Ancient Glass

Glass bottle stands

(1/7) > >>

Enodia:
i'm wondering if anyone can point me to a dealer who sells the plastic (lucite?) stands which one often sees supporting ancient glass bottles (unguentaria and the like)?

i have tried searching museum suppliers, display manufacturers, etc, and have even contacted a few dealers who sell the bottles, but so far to no avail.
i have a cheap metal stand now which i purchased from an antique dealer, but it is not very secure and i don't trust it to withstand even the slightest bump. unfortunately he knew of no place that sells what i am looking for, so i'm hoping somebody here might have a connection.

thank you in advance,
~ Peter

commodus:
I had to resort to making them myself. The acrylic can be gotten at craft supply stores in sheets of varying thickness. A sturdy ruler, an exacto knife, and super glue are the other supplies necessary.
It is rather a hassle but it works.

Enodia:
i had tried something similar myself, using a small oak base with a dimple drilled into it, and a metal skewer with a round handle bent to 90 degrees set in, with ribbon wrapped around the loop. i wasn't too pleased with the result though.

perhaps i will try again using your method. i'm sure i can find the supplies rather easily.

and thanks for your reply! 

~ Peter

commodus:
I wasted a lot of acrylic, a small amount of blood, and superglued my fingers together a couple times before I got a result I was happy with.
So... best of luck.
I know I, for one, don't plan to take up making these things professionally!

Mark Z:
Question to both:

Do you have pics of the end result?

I am considering a purchase of ancient glass and this was the first thing that crossed my mind.

Thanks!

mz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version