Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: two-headed Tetricus ant  (Read 1238 times)

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
two-headed Tetricus ant
« on: February 19, 2006, 11:24:52 am »
Am I correct in thinking that this coin is the result of a flip over double strike?
--postvmvs
(Not to be confused with 'postumus' spelled with 'u')

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: two-headed Tetricus ant
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 12:18:58 pm »
Is the second head normal or incuse?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 12:31:26 pm »
I don't have the coin in hand yet, so I only have the seller's photo to go by, but the reverse doesn't look incuse to me. If it were a brockage, the reverse would be the mirror image of the obverse (i.e. bust facing left, text backwards).
--postvmvs
(Not to be confused with 'postumus' spelled with 'u')

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 01:55:17 pm »
Hi,

I think it is a case of the coin flipping between successive strikes. I don't know of any authentic deliberate double headers like this.

The coin itself does look to come from authentic mint 1 (Trier) dies and the flan crack or striking crack does suggest a second blow. There may be the trace of a reverse type on the lower of the two photos with a deity's head at 9 o'clock?

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 04:16:41 pm »
Yes, I agree. It does also appear (as would of course be the case if the coin had flipped over in the die) that the two heads are from the same die.

Regards,

Adrianus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity