Numism > Help For the New Ancient Coin Collector

Complete denomination series?

(1/4) > >>

Jason G:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to collecting ancient coins, but I'm having a lot of fun so far.   :)  I was thinking that it would be fun to collect a complete group of denominations.  Is this hard to do?  I would like to do a Roman series but don't know if it is possible and I don't know if my pocket book could handle it.  Would Byzantine be easier, both cost wise and ease of finding the coins?  I'm prepared to go as high as $400 to $500 for the gold coins.   Can it be done on my budget? They don't even have to be from the same mint although it would be nice if the coins were all from the same emporer. :)  Thanks, great site!!

Jason

wolfgang336:
Rome shouldn't be too hard in this respect... You may have to push your budget a bit of an Aureus though, not to mention some of the rarer gold denominations.

Evan

Jason G:
Thanks Evan,

Do you have any emporers in mind that would be good canidates?  I was thinking of the ones that post date Constantine the Great. Do you think it would be possible to go earlier?

wolfgang336:
There was so many monetary reforms in Rome that collecting only coins of Constantine and later won't get you very many of the denominations... Only Follis, half follis, centonalius (and all its various fractionals), Solidus, Aureus, post reform antoninianus, quarter follis... etc.

You would need to start in the Republic and work your way up.

Evan

Jason G:
Ah, that makes sence, I was wondering about all those AExx, etc.  Thanks, I will start planning my attack. :)

Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version