Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

New Roman Coinage Book (I have HIGH hopes)

(1/4) > >>

Jericho:
http://rossperry.com/roman_bronze_coins.html

Roman Bronze Coins: From Paganism to Christianity

Due out in April.

"During the seventy-year period covered by Roman Bronze Coins, Christian symbols on coins increased as that religion gradually replaced the traditional Roman gods as the official state religion. The book begins with the Emperor Diocletian’s empire-wide coin reform and his failure to establish price controls. It transitions into the fourth century where his successful reorganization of the Roman government paved the way for Constantine the Great’s thirty year rule that ushered the Christian transformation.

This convenient, one-volume reference uses the humble bronze coin to trace that story and provide coin collectors several different ways to identify and catalog the coin:

By ruler or personage

Because so many rulers and personages shared the same name and titles, there are several charts that, by the process of elimination, help you identify the correct ruler.

By the reverse type

If the reverse legend is visible, consult the General Index; if the reverse scene is visible, crosscheck the coin in the chapter, “Collecting by Theme, the Iconography of the Reverse.” Generally speaking, new reverse types for rulers are quiet rare, but if they exist, this book will help you spot them quickly.

By reverse variety

Once you know the type, you can determine whether this is a variety that has been expanded in this book. The easiest way is to see if there is an asterisk (*) before the catalog number.

By mint and year struck

The chapter, “Dating and Controlling the Coins, the Roman Way,” lists different mint, sequence and other marks and is divided in exergue and field markings sections. It also contains speculation as to the meanings of these marks, letters, and symbols. Consulting the individual mint city pages will allow, by the process of elimination, the identification of the year(s) when a particular coin was struck.

By historical context

Once you have determined the year or years that a coin was struck, look in Chapter One, the “History of the Period and Associated Coin Types” to see if that coin has been tied to a specific historical event.

The Coin Attribute Reference Chart, in Appendix A, should provide a ready reference for coin dates, names, value, weight, and other attributes.

The Author

Victor Failmezger is a retired U.S. naval officer, president of Global Initiatives, Inc., a small, Virginia-based consulting firm, and a principal in a non-profit environmental technology foundation. During his 22 years in the Navy, he was stationed for many years in Europe (Italy and Germany) and was introduced to the avocation of coin collecting. He is a frequent international lecturer on remote sensing and the environment and once a year on ancient coins to Ms. Steinberg’s third grade class. He holds a Master of Arts, in International Relations from Boston University (BU, 1973) and a Bachelor of Arts, in History, from Southern Methodist University (SMU, 1969). He is fluent in both Italian and German.

The Images

Doug Smith combines his two hobbies—photography and ancient coins—in Roman Bronze Coins. A 1968 graduate of Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana, majoring in Classics, Doug first photographed Roman coins for use in a term paper in 1965. He retired from the U.S. Army after spending 20 years as a photographic laboratory technician. He specializes in Eastern mint denari of Septimius Severus and technically interesting coins. A desire to learn HTML led to the beginning of his educational web site in 1997. The first page posted on the website dealt with the question of stirrups shown on coins of
Constantius II and was based on observations made by his long-time friend, Victor Failmezger. This book is a continuation of that collaboration."

I'm REALLY looking forward to this and the price isn't too bad at $49.95 (cheaper if pre-ordered).  I think it's a cant-miss, but we'll see.

;D
jericho

LordBest:
Sounds quite good. :)
                                   LordBest.

Julian_II:
Sounds VERY good!
If you order it now you get a 20% discount.
Also if you want 200 or more you get a 50% discount ::)

40 dollars is a really good price I think.
I tried to post an order but they don´t ship to Argentina :(

Jericho:
HEY JOE, you should carry this  ;D.

jericho

Julian_II:
Maybe if Joe buys 200 I could buy one from him! Forum does ship to Argentina :D :D
Joe?? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version