Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Unusual Caracalla denarius portrait

(1/2) > >>

William J Bligh:
Thoughts on this, anyone? Is it a provincial mint or a barbarous imitative type or what?? He just looks so....WEIRD.

Tiathena:

Very different / unique for sure.  Not the typical juvenile Marcus Antoninus portrait, where (to me, anyway) he always looks so much like Geta.

Just right-off the ‘cuff’ so to speak – my gut-reaction is to suspect it’s a provincial & not a barbaric imitation.
  What does the reverse look like?

Best –
  Tia

William J Bligh:
Here's the reverse - Apparently its the 'Securitas Perpetua' type, but the legend is a bit blundered.
Here's a link to the official type on wildwinds.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s6678.html

It's too bad there's a large scratch across the reverse, but the portrait intrigued me enough to pick it up anyways

Tiathena:

Thanks for showing the reverse, too.
  Yeah – that’s sure different.
  I’m clueless.
  Still have a gut feeling it’s Provincial – but my gut feelings usually prove wrong in these questions it seems.

I definitely understand your underlying question better now, tho’ – thanks.

Also for the obverse – the official one (@ WW’s) – shows M. Antoninus as bear-head, draped and cuirassed, right: where yours is laureate.
  Maybe a different (but similar) coin altogether?

Best –
  Tia

curtislclay:
As you suspected, clearly an ancient imitation, combining a rev. of 196/7 AD with blundered legend, with an obv. of 199-200.  Hence the wierd style!  Interesting nevertheless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version