Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

How do you store your coins?

Flips
170 (46.4%)
Cardboard Holders
47 (12.8%)
Slabbed
9 (2.5%)
Velvet Trays
101 (27.6%)
Other (please specify)
39 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: Prefered Storage Method  (Read 84159 times)

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
Re:Prefered Storage Method
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »
I would be careful with paper envelopes. Another hobby of mine is telescope optics-I grind mirrors and lenses. Paper is used to polish lenses in les expensive commercial work. In short, paper polishes hard surfaces like glass and metal over time. This is the equivalent of putting wear on high spots

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Re: Prefered Storage Method
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 08:48:12 pm »
Well, truth to be told, as long as the coin is able to slide around against something, it will leave wear on high points sooner or later.  In modern MS-65 world, that would be horrible for coin value; so the rise of slabs....

In ancients, not as sensitive so valvet trays are tolerated :)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 01:51:07 am »
i keep each of my coins in an inert polybag which is then slid into an inert flip. no friction, extra protection, and easily removable. a two-sided tag on the other side of the flip and i'm good.

i have had many of my coins stored like this for 20 years with no significant sign of change.

~ Peter

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 01:29:10 am »
I keep all my coins in "non-plasticized flips" stored inside a box i had made for me a few months ago.  I attached a pic of it, the main box is Brazilian cherry with spalted Birch in the lid, and Oak slip feathers. The top tray is made of Birds-eye Maple and has ten divided sections.  The box measures 19"x10"x10" and is perfect because i keep larger items beneath the top tray where i keep all my coins in their flips.  I seem to be filling it quicker than i first thought and might have to put some of my more expensive coins in a safety deposit box now to make room.
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 04:06:08 pm »
I use simple plastic sheets.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »
I think it's largely a matter of personal opinion.  Mahogany was/is the wood of choice for coin storage because of its chemical stability, aesthetics, and a long history/tradition of collectors using them.  And while plastic would almost certainly be cheaper, to me personally it just seems to lack the "old world" charm of a mahogany cabinet.

Here's a link to my gallery, showing the one I built for myself:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2458

PM me if you'd like more information.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 06:19:24 am »
Seal the coins so you can't easily take them out?
No option.  ;D
Andreas Reich

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 06:41:18 am »
Ancient coins in general don't need to be protected. You're meant to touch them.
Every storage system that makes it harder for you to look at and touch your coins is very bad.
I used these folders for a while, with plastic flips in them. These weren't sealed but getting at the coins was
such a bother that I hardly handled them.

Now I use trays, I can easily touch my coins, turn them over, resort them if I like and it's much better.
Coins that you can't handle are useless and for that reason collections of modern coins that you can't touch
are stupid. Yes I said it, so sue me.  ;D

There are a few exceptions, e.g. coins with very fragile patinas but I avoid these.
I had one that was beautiful and not common but If I'd dropped it on my desk I know parts would have come off, so I sold it.
I never would have done so otherwise.
Andreas Reich

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 11:54:58 am »
Currently I have mine in flips in a photo album, but I am looking to upgrade to a tray system if I can ever stop spending money on coins long enough to be able to afford it! :)

Offline Garf

• Legionary
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 06:46:16 pm »
Mahogany coin cabinet with trays, simple velvet lining. I bought one small one from coincabinets.com, don't regret it one bit.

Flips for my cheap Roman bronzes.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 11:56:20 am »
Actually trying out gem jar cases.  I looked up what the plastic jars are made out of, and it appears to be Lucite, which is basically plexiglass.  I have found where other good coin slab type holders are made out of Lucite.

I love the method so far!

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 12:00:10 pm »
Most of my coins are in flips sealed with transparent sticky tape to prevent them from falling out.

PVC free I hope! :)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »
I suppose I'm in the minority here... I use the cardboard holders.

I collect denarii so I really don't want to handle them too much (fingerprints and such) and the cardboard holders are easy to store in an album.

*UPDATE*

I'm still using the 2x2 cardboard holders, but now store them in long coin boxes which contain about 50 of the 2x2 holders. I agonized a few years ago about keeping them in a bank deposit box and after weighing the pros and cons finally decided to store them there. I miss being able to handle them whenever I want, but the trade off in security and peace of mind is worth it I think.

At home I keep a binder with detailed info and pics of each coin.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 02:19:36 pm »
I strongly agree. Ever since discarding the plastic flips and album pages I look at my coins much more often and derive much more joy from my collection. Taking them out of the album is not much work in theory but in practice I just didn't do it very often.
Andreas Reich

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 04:27:29 pm »
I also agree impuber et alii . A question to those who use trays.Do you wash your hands before handling your coins ?. Or use gloves?.
In case you already wear the toga virilis,sorry for the impuber mention.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 12:06:16 pm »
I suppose I'm in the minority here... I use the cardboard holders.

I collect denarii so I really don't want to handle them too much (fingerprints and such) and the cardboard holders are easy to store in an album.

I too collect Denarii.  I’ve been strongly leaning in the direction of a coin tray “system”, but now I’m concerned that this type of storage may not be safe for silver.  I don’t think I’ll mind a little bit of pleasant “cabinet toning”, but I don’t want to harm me coins.  Are my concerns warranted?

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 01:28:22 pm »
I have the 1 1/8" diameter ones.  I am not sure how tall they are.  I took the foam out of them and cut it down so the coins would not hit the top of the jar.  I came up with a very quick and nice way to do this.  They look better now than they did before I cut them. 

There is also the option of not using the jar itself.  You can cut the foam insert down, take it out of the jar, and just stick it in the hole of the tray.  Kind of like having a normal coin case.  It looks really nice as well.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 04:45:24 pm »
Fine for new coins, but who wants ancients that look like that? Much of the interest would be gone if I couldn't handle them!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 05:46:26 pm »
I have a set of silverware and its all black and dusty now. i can polish those but i can't polish coins!

Not necessarily, it is entirely possible and done more often than you might think.  A bit of light polishing of a darkly toned silver coin can result in a very attractively toned coin that is highly desirable by most ancient collectors.

If i could tone all of my silver coins overnight (non-artificially) i would do it in a second, but then again it can be fun to see your nice silver coins tone over time. 

In the end to each his own and no harm can come from overprotecting a coin, only limited enjoyment IMO.
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Marcus Lepidus

• Consul
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2011, 02:17:19 am »
small zip bags
Vincit qui se vincit

Offline Augustin Caron

• Consul
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 05:16:47 pm »
I use Kointainer's SAFLIP coin holders.
Then i allow disorder to get its rights back.
AC

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 07:01:57 pm »
I use a small 8"x10"x4" brief case filled with faux velvet/plastic trays.

I'm at the verge of out growing it though, and would like to get a nicer desktop case with drawers. I wish I could afford one of the nice "Cabinets by Craig", but will have to settle for something more modest :-\

~Steve

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 08:02:15 pm »
How many trays are in the case and how many coins do you need it to hold in total?

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 11:16:57 pm »
How many trays are in the case and how many coins do you need it to hold in total?

I'll send you a P/M

~Steve

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »
I use a "BEBA" sublot (30x30x14cm) with 10 tray and each tray have diferent distribution of the place of the coin
i.e.
6x6 tray for the coin like diameter 42mm 36 place
and 7x7.. 49 place for Sestertius
8x8 64 place for folis

9x9  81 place for tetradrachm  :)
10x10 like antoninianus 100 place in one tray
12x12 aprox 20-22mm diameter coins like denarius 144place in one tray

I hope it is good to so many coins for the small place in the table or the shelf..
regards

Q.
like this
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity