Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Epitome Thesauri antiquitatum 1557 - Need Help

(1/2) > >>

M.G.M:
Hello all

I might be able to get my hands on Epitome Thesauri antiquitatum written by Strada second edition from Zurich 1557.

Need to know if you have any information about this book? also value would be highly appricated since I want to know if the price is fair or not.

Thanks

M.G.M

Numerianus:
Consult abebooks.com.
There are 3 copies currently available. The edition you are interested in is
in a binding with some other rare books. Take care that prices of the abebooks usually are usually quite high. If you can buy a copy for one third of the average price, it is, normally, a good deal.    

curtislclay:
      Apparently one of the series of books by various authors that show portraits, mostly based on coins, of ancient and modern emperors and kings, with a few details of their lives and reigns.  The numismatic importance of such books is minimal.  They frequently invent portraits where there were no coins to provide them.  Not books that are of much use or importance to an ancient numismatist, I think.

Numerianus:
Of course, this is not a reference book. However, it may be of an emotional value
as a withness of printer art of sixteenth century related specifically  with numismatics.  In fact, many people interested in acient numismatics have also
adjacent hobbies and  would be pleased to possess such a volume.
I have a book of this kind (see my post  in this section on Caesars of Julianus II): it is quite amuzing to compare  the artistic images with real coins.

curtislclay:
      I fully agree that books like Strada's may be important in the history of printing and for showing how 16th-cent. monarchs liked to view themselves as successors of the Roman emperors.  
      However I think they contain very little for those whose chief interest is ancient coins and the history of numismatic studies.
       Spanheim's Julian, in contrast, fully deserves to be included in any numismatic library.  Spanheim was the most erudite numismatic scholar of his age and visited many famous collections to find coins that could teach us something about ancient history and civilization.  In his Julian he illustrates important coins, and makes important observations about them.  I have a copy of this book in my own library too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version