Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Hadrian's Wall books?

(1/3) > >>

David Atherton:
I was wondering if anyone would know of a good book about Hadrian's Wall and the Archaeology involved with it?

I've been looking for one for sometime and would like to hear any suggestions. :)

leetoone:
My favourite is "The Handbook to the Roman Wall" by J. Collingwood Bruce. First issued in 1863 and various editions since. Of course there have been many discoveries since but this is still an excellent little starter book.

Robert_Brenchley:
I'll check in the library when I'm in town; unfortunately I'm still recovering from a bad attack of flu and I'm trying to avoid unnecessary outings. A lot depends on what you're looking for; do you want a general guide to the Wall, or great detail on the various sites along it? There are volumes on each of the Roman forts, for instance; would you want those?

David Atherton:
Hello, Robert!

The more details the better! Books about the individual forts and construction of the wall itself is generally what I'm looking for.
I have a general guide but I'm looking for something a bit more detailed now that my curiosity is peaked. Our own library is sadly lacking in books about the Roman era, so I usually have to track them down myself. Any help is much appreciated. :)

David Atherton:
Thanks leetoone for the book title...I'll see if I can track it down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version