Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze Islamic or Byzantine Weight from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 231 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Bronze Islamic or Byzantine Weight from Caesarea Maritima
« on: March 30, 2023, 09:54:38 pm »
Hi, all.  This is a hard one.  I have grouped it with the Islamic weights because it fits in the general shape and weight of Holland's "discoid series-1/2 dinar" at 2.05 grams, but could just as easily be a 1/2 nomisma, Roman/Byzantine/Greek weight, though the shape and material (bronze) would be unusual.  I am seeing what looks to me to be a bird in the punch-mark, though this is far from certain.  I did find a reference to a roughly rectangular Roman/Byzantine 1 nomisma weight in lead, on the Pondera site, pictured below, but it is only vaguely similar to this one.  Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jimi

Islamic? Bronze Weight
Caesarea Maritima 1/2 Dinar
7th -12th Century CE
Obv: Bird? or other figure with circular border
in incuse circular punch mark.  Rev: Blank. 
Roughly circular flattened barrel shaped (discoid)
bronze weight in the form of two truncated cones
set base to base.  File marks on edges.   
Dia: 9.1 x 8.25mm. Ht: 4.5mm.  Wt: 2.05gm.
Similar in size to Holland, "ANSMN 31 (1986)" #191.
No parallels in Holland W.W.O.C.M. chapter 8.
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1970's
J. Berlin Caesarea Collection
(click for larger pic)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity