Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange Traian Dupondius  (Read 417 times)

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
Strange Traian Dupondius
« on: February 25, 2023, 09:48:47 am »
Hi all,
i want to share this strange dupondius from Traian.

IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GER DAC PM TRP COS V PP Radiate head right
R/ TR POT COS IIII PP Abundantia seated left on chair with crossed cornucopiae, holding sceptre in right hand
27 mm - 12.39 g

Obverse COS V gives the date 103 A.D.
Reverse COS IIII gives date 101-102 A.D.

So what think about this coin

thanks

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Strange Traian Dupondius
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 12:13:02 pm »
To my eyes the obverse looks like it might be VI.  I wonder if the engraver transposed the numerals and it should have been IV, which would equal four.  And on the reverse he engraved it as IIII since there was more room available on the die.

Craig

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 01:02:17 pm »
What's the reference number for this type (e.g., RIC)? I don't know that much about coinage of Trajan, but is it usual for them to be dated with the COS on both sides? Looking at his other Dupondii on OCRE, I usually see it on the obverse OR the reverse, but never on both sides. (I see some with TR P on the obv. & COS rev., but not COS / COS, even if they are in agreement.)

If I'm right about that, and it's authentically ancient (and not tooled), it would make me think this is an unofficial issue or mule....
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 02:03:42 pm »
Similar case here:

Different bust on obverse, slightly different legend (TRAIANO instead of TRAIAN), on the reverse also Abundantia, but with the legend COS II (98-99 AD).

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3438101

Under Trajan, mules from different periods are practically non-existent, and certainly not among bronzes.

I think both cases can be considered modern forgeries (maybe casts).

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 10:14:09 pm »
Leftover or previously unused reverse die? I think it is COS V PP at  the end of the obverse legend

All coins are guaranteed for eternity