Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pontos, Amisos Coin  (Read 737 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Pontos, Amisos Coin
« on: September 08, 2022, 11:21:06 pm »
I really wish my photos were better because the coin looks so much better in hand than the photos and the lack of photo quality may work against my post here. Anyway, got this coin in a lot of 22 coins. All Greek Asia Minor, including three from Pontos and Sinope. Given the price, I am very happy with the coins. However, this particular coin was one of the highest quality of any I have seen and some of these go for more than the entire lot cost. Outside of the reverse being a bit off-center, it is an absolutely beautiful coin. Even the head of Perseus is not completely worn away and Medusa's head is quite detailed. The Obverse is outstanding, almost full helmet crest and the Pegasus is very clear and detailed.

So, of course, I wonder what the catch is, how did a coin usually sold individually end up in a lot like this? Am I missing something? One of these just sold at auction at a decent price and mine is better. I just wish my photos did it justice.

Any thoughts?

Pontos, Amisos
Time of Mithradates VI
AE29, 18.48 grams, 0 degrees
HGC 7 238

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Pontos, Amisos Coin
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 08:13:57 am »
Hi VH,

I don't know if anyone can answer your question. Sometimes, that is just the way it is with bulk lots. Coins appear in bulk lots for any number of reasons.

Here is my example (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/g_pontus.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Pontos, Amisos Coin
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 03:45:11 pm »
Hi Meepzorp,
Thanks for your answer, I understand it is hard to answer, usually I get what I expect in bulk lots, but this one was a surprise and I know my pictures don't do it justice at all, I was stunned at how good especially the Obverse is. Thanks for your link to your page, all nice coins. I think your Perseus one is very nice. One thing with these for me is if the Pegasus is visible on the helmet. Also, the Medusa head detail.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity