Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Geta - Eros/Thanatos - unpublished?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Geta - Eros/Thanatos - unpublished?
« on: July 02, 2022, 07:59:22 am »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I bought a Geta provincial that confuses me.

Original attribution from the house
THRACE. Anchialus. Geta (Caesar, 198-209). Ae.
Bareheaded, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: Winged Genius standing facing, legs crossed, resting on torch set on altar.
Varbanov 43
I don't think this is correct.
As checked, the Anchialus coins with this reverse have the legend AΓXIAΛEΩN. On mine it starts with a Λ (or A) and ends with ΛITΩN or AITΩN.
 I know this reverse is common for several Thrace cities BUT
- not Pautalia - ΠAVTA-ΛIΩTΩN  (on my reverse it ends with ITΩN - one "extra" Ω on Pautalia
- not Marcianopolis - MAPKIANOΠOΛITΩN - as the city on my coin starts with a Λ or A
- not Nicopolis -  NIKOΠOΛ ΠPOC IC
- not Augusta Traiana
Next choice - Hadrianopolis (I cannot find any Hadrianopolis Geta coins with this reverse being sold in archives) but
https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/hadrianopolis/t.html
Varbanov 3657 var  has this reverse but the obverse legend is  Λ CEΠTI ΓETA KAI
On mine is Λ Π (?)ΓETA (CK?!)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I also asked on other places and 2 private questions addressed to collectors who don't use communities so if I get an answer I will post it here also.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Geta - Eros/Thanatos - unpublished?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 03:42:45 pm »
Dear ambr0zie!

The rev. of your coin is from the same die like the the coin from Wildwinds Varbanov 3567 var. So it is Hadrianopolis with a new not yet listed obv.

Best regards
Jochen

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 03:40:22 am »
Thank you Jochen.
This was also my idea as the style strongly resembles Hadrianopolis.
I have also asked the staff from VarbanovBooks and the gentleman who replied told me it might be from Dionysopolis (type unrecorded for the city)
I also requested advice from an auction house who said it is most likely a Hadrianopolis with a low chance to be a Dionysopolis.
I am not skilled enough to contradict experts, but my impression is also this is a Hadrianopolis coin.

It's too bad the coin misses the first part of the reverse legend, this would have clarified without any trace of doubt.
I like the coin. Pleasant green patina, good details. I think it was a good addition.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 08:19:10 pm »

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 03:57:57 am »
Your coin seems indeed from Pautalia after the legends. On mine the legends are different.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity