Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antestia Reference for Republican Coins of C. Antestius  (Read 391 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Antestia Reference for Republican Coins of C. Antestius
« on: June 20, 2022, 11:36:59 pm »
I recently acquired a coin of C. Antestius and one of the references is "Antestia" for it. Anyone know if this is a journal article or where it may be found? The coin has other references, but I am curious about this one.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Antestia Reference for Republican Coins of C. Antestius
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 01:57:11 am »

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 12:21:20 pm »
Thank you very much Pekka. I did search Numiswiki, but didn't hit that.

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 01:08:33 pm »
Just spent some time looking through the complete Volume 1 (second link on the Numiswiki page) and glanced at Volume II and have to say that is a very nice reference. I am sure it is outdated to a degree, but I really like how Babylon laid the book out. I will be saving that one. Thanks again.

Virgil

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 01:29:25 pm »
The arrangement of Roman Republican coins by family gens started much earlier than Babelon (1885), although Babelon helped popularize it. Cohen (1856) also followed the gens convention.  The British Museum Catalogue (1910) was arranged chronologically and geographically, and most major references since BMCRR have followed the chronologic format, fine-tuning the chronology along the way.  Some collectors and dealers continue to refer to the coins by Babelon numbers, and RSC 1 followed that convention.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 03:38:05 pm »
Thank you, Michael, for the additional information.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity