Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Variation Tiberius Divus Augustus Sestertius - four elephants.  (Read 331 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
I would be interested in comments on this rather worn and relatively common Divus Augustus Sestertius. Obv. Due to extensive wear none of the legend and most of the imagery is missing. Informed by other examples I see there is a car drawn left by partly visible elephants. Countermark NCAPR within rectangular incuse 11 by 3.5mm in top right quadrant. Rev. TI CAESAR D[IVI ]AVG F AVGVST P M [tr P]OT XXXIIX round C All very worn. I haven’t seen any other NCAPR counterstamps on the obverse.  Could this have been out of respect to the late Augustus?  I note the reverse die appears different to others.   Most seem to have the 12 o’clock point at the T of  TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVST P M TR POT XXXIIX legend. This example 12 o’clock point is at a point between XII and the final X before TI CAESAR.  A very small variation but noticeable. A final point related to the NCAPR counterstamp. I can’t find evidence for the observation, in many auction listings, that most of these originate from Spain.  Where is a reference to the evidence?                 33.1 – 34.6mm 24.4gr & axis 12hr
Thanks

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Re: Variation Tiberius Divus Augustus Sestertius - four elephants.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 03:13:55 pm »
Please excuse the unexpected strikethrough.  I can't clear this format from the post!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 03:31:35 pm »
The board code uses square brackets [ vice < to indicate code. So, [ S ] without the spaces means strikethrough.  I deleted that from your post.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 06:26:47 pm »
Hi C4,

I have an example with a variation in the reverse legend. Your example appears to have "...XXXIIX TI CAESAR...". My example appears to have "...VII TI CAESAR...".

The 12:00 point on my example appears to be the "I" in "TI CAESAR".

Obviously, mine isn't countermarked.

Here is my example (fourth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ae_ptR01.htm

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity