Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification Help on Lead Seal  (Read 490 times)

Offline Kath D2

• Office Manager
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Legionary
Identification Help on Lead Seal
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:53:10 pm »
Part of a group of lead seals that we need help in identifying.  I will be posting them one at a time here.

Any assistance with any information on these coins would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Kath Durand
Forum Ancient Coins

99058  10.250g  31.0mm   Legend retrograd HXA PICEI MI / blank
Kath Durand
Office Manager
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Identification Help on Lead Seal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 04:48:33 pm »
Again, you will do better posting them in the Byzantine or seals sections on this board.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 05:43:24 pm »
Hi Kath.  There are several of these on Gert Boersema's ( a Procurator Monetae here at Forum) archives on vcoins:

[Link removed by Admin]

From his description:
Lead tessera or amulet. Holy Land, Roman times
AXH / IECIP / IM (retrograde) in three lines
"The inscription of this amulet reads ‘H XAPIC EIMI’ – ‘I am grace’. Although this phrase is not literally found in the New Testament, it echoes the saying of Jesus in John 14:6 ‘I am the way and the truth and the life.’ The Greek word ‘charis’, moreover, is extensively used in the New Testament. Epigraphically, the inscription resembles so-called ‘magical’ or ‘gnostic’ engraved gems and amulets, also bearing retrograde inscriptions and square lunate sigmas."

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 07:47:08 am »
Yes, I recognize that description, but I have changed my mind on this and no longer believe this has a New Testament connection. It is much more likely a votive mirror, with an inscription 'I am the gratitude', i.e. for the divine favor.
Regards
GErt

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 12:11:25 am »
Very interesting.  Thank you, Gert, for correcting my response.

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity