Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Probus - Lugdunum - Early draped and cuirassed bust  (Read 440 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Probus - Lugdunum - Early draped and cuirassed bust
« on: April 22, 2022, 06:19:38 am »
The coinage of Probus at Lugdunum is partitioned into 9 emissions by Bastien which are broadly associated with the early and later Periods identified by RIC. Many coins have to be placed into these periods / emissions purely based on their style as the other elements of the coins are otherwise identical. Emissions 1 to 4 would be associated with the early Period and have broad heads with thick necks and where a cuirass is present have very little of the cuirass visible. Emission 5 was created to celebrate the victorious return of Probus through Lugdunum after a campaign in Gaul and introduces a range of elaborate busts. Emissions 6 to 9 are associated with the later period where the busts are somewhat narrower and the profile is longer than that on the early emissions and where a cuirass is visible there is more cuirass shown.

Typical "Early" cuirassed bust:-

Typical "Later" cuirassed bust:-

The draped and cuirassed bust is common across all the mints for Probus and a common enough at Lugdunum but having said this is does not typically occur in the Early period and only becomes commonplace in the Later period. Bastien does however identify two example of the Draped and cuiarssed bust type appearing in Emission 3 (obverse legend of IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG), both with the FIDES MILITVM reverse type, one (Bastien 177) coming from Officina 2 (II in exe) and the other (Bastien 179bis) coming from Officina 3 (III in exe). I have attached cans of these below. These coins come from the same obverse die. A further example of the bust type occurs in Emission 4 (shortened obverse legend of IMP C PROBVS P F AVG), also with the FIDES MILITVM reverse type.

I have obtained a new example of the bust type from Emission 3. My example comes from the same obverse die but is now paired with the MARS VICTOR reverse type from Officina 3 (III in exe).

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right; seen from rear
Rev:– MARS VICTOR, Mars walking right, holding spear and trophy.
Minted in Lugdunum (III in exe) Emission 3, Officina 3. November – December A.D. 276
Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien -, Batien Suppl I -. Batien Suppl II -. RIC 37 Bust type C corr. (RIC cites bust type A this chould be Bust Type C and RIC likely cites examples from the later period in this case)
Obverse die match to Bastien 179 bust, which is FIDES MILITVM from the same emission

Weight 4.53g. 23.51mm. 180 degrees

The bust can be seen to be much braoder than those of the later emissions illustrated below for comparison.

Regards,
Martin

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Probus - Lugdunum - Early draped and cuirassed bust
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 01:18:57 pm »
I must admit that when I posted above I didn't expect to be reviving this thread any time soon but here I am having obtained my own example of Bastien 179bis (double die matched).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity