Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Archaic Owl type question  (Read 638 times)

Offline Adam C2

• Legionary
Archaic Owl type question
« on: April 10, 2022, 03:24:16 pm »
Hello,

I saw this archaic owl on a [REMOVED BY MODERATOR] auction and thought it was kind of odd. I lm no expert on these types but Iv never seen an archaic style owl with dots or pellets on Athena’s helmet like seen on this coin. Usually they are simply smooth and bare with dots and geometric shapes in the crest. Obviously the classical owls then added the floral design on the helmet. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this variation as I know these early types have significant variation. Or if this detail can help date it more precisely? Also it looks like there is an iris in the eye which seems unusual for the type as well. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity