Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kyzikos  (Read 798 times)

Offline Pharnabazus

• Auxiliary
Kyzikos
« on: March 22, 2022, 05:34:31 pm »
Hello everyone. I have never seen this coin belonging to mysia- kyzikos in any auction before. Does anyone have an idea about it?  Thank you in advance for your answers. :D

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Kyzikos
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 12:06:01 am »
Dear Pharnabazus and Board,

Despite its pre-Roman looks, your coin appears to be actually Hadrianic in age:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/1531

Nice find!  Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Pharnabazus

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 02:10:34 am »
Dear friend, thank you for your reply.I've seen this entry in Rpc before too.However, I do not agree with them.Because I've seen a lot of Greek-era Cyzicus coins before.Because where I live is 5 kilometers from the center of Kyzikos. :)The Kore on the coin looks almost identical to the typical Greek mints.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 08:35:31 am »
... I've seen this entry in Rpc before too.However, I do not agree with them. ...
Already in Hans von Fritze, "Die autonome Kupferprägung von Kyzikos: eine chronologische Studie", Nomisma X, 1917, this type is dated to the time of Hadrian. In all other references I know this type is also dated to imperial times.

But you are free to believe what you want :).

... Because where I live is 5 kilometers from the center of Kyzikos. :) ...
Is this a sign of special expertise?

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity