Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: is it a coin that became a button?  (Read 882 times)

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
is it a coin that became a button?
« on: February 20, 2022, 01:42:09 pm »
bronze 20.5cm
3.5gram

is it a coin that became a button? I noticed the holes

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: is it a coin that became a button?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 09:47:05 pm »
There is little evidence of coins being used as button back then but they were holed for various other reasons - primarily to make "jewelry" including both real jewelry like neckless and bracelets and things like apotropaic "charm" bracelets for children.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 08:30:31 pm »
It's an early "spinner"

Offline Gabriel L

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 03:29:25 am »
I'm getting a button instead of coins and I have no idea why. The free coins were a nice bonus, but this ad button serves no purpose for me.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 09:25:29 am »
If you buy bulk lots you often get a small % of things that are not ancient coins - buttons, slugs, washers, 19th-20th century coins, etc.

In most cases there is nothing malicious about this.  You are getting the lot for relatively cheap because they have not been intensely sorted.  The thing in the image above would easily pass as a coin in a quick scan. 

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity