Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman ring with Sea Monster Intaglio  (Read 832 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Roman ring with Sea Monster Intaglio
« on: January 08, 2022, 06:02:24 pm »
Ave!

Copper alloy; 3.8gm, Ring size 10 ...ca. 2nd-3rd Cent

Con/ As Fabricated and Engraved; residual tinning on the bezel.

The engraved "Sea Monster" on the bezel of this ring can be clearly seen in the photo and appears to look a bit like Nessie, the Lock Ness monster, doesn't it? 
But, more than likely, it is not a sea monster, but rather a Mediterranean monk seal, frolicking in the sea beneath a crescent moon?
Monk seals are now an endangered species, but common centuries ago.

Nearly 200 ancient rings in my collection but I have never seen one like this.

Help and thanks for looking!
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman ring with Sea Monster Intaglio
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 07:23:25 pm »
Looks like a whale.  But I have never checked Pliny or other Roman sources to see what they knew about whales.

Also looks a tiny bit like a poor rendering of a galley - the ram prow shown as a split end and then an exaggerated stern post rising too high.  Doubt it is though as the oval makes no sense...

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity