Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin cleaning microscope  (Read 943 times)

Offline Nikola L

• Auxiliary
Coin cleaning microscope
« on: November 29, 2021, 07:26:45 am »
Hi, I'm planning to buy stereo microscope for coin cleaning. I'm interested in AmScope SE400-Z 10x and 20x magnification. It has a great working distance and I've seen other use it for soldering. Did anyone use it or does anyone know is it good for coin cleaning?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Coin cleaning microscope
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 05:33:30 pm »
It should be good.

I use a Konus 5031 with 20x.

If I bought a new one it would be one with a 45 degree angle like the AmScope SE400-Z and not a neck-abusing 90 degree angle like mine.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:13:31 pm »
I have a 10x and 20x microscope and I like it. But the magnification is too high at times. I often wish I had bought something that did 5X and I almost never use the 20X. High magnification, for me, makes some things impossible to see, strange as that may seem. Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly.

Virgil

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 04:35:21 pm »
Yes, a 5x to 20x would be ideal.  But I have magnifying-glass stands or a magnifying head-band for the lower end stuff.

I find the 20x is good for the fine scalpel work I want it for.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 04:47:35 pm »
Yeah, I use a magnifying glass and my wife's sewing ring light magnifier more than the scope. But, the scope can be super helpful at times.

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:25:34 pm »
Oh, and I highly echo Shawn's comment on a 45 degree angle. Mine is an Amscope 10-20x probably like what you are looking at (not sure model number) and it is a fine scope at a decent price, but the 45 degrees would be so much easier on the neck and general comfort, especially if you are using it for long periods of time. And, I also use mine for soldering at 10X, but for most of the soldering I do, I don't need magnification. For tiny components, it is great.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 07:24:45 pm »
If you want the best, I recommend Vision Engineering. I have a Cobra. They are discontinued but you can find used ones on eBay (not all the time but sometimes).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity