Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eye of Horus amulet  (Read 1583 times)

a

Eye of Horus amulet
« on: March 28, 2021, 08:09:40 am »
Hello,

Please help with identification of this blue Eye of Horus amulet.
The size is about 13mm. Seems like the material is turquoise.

When it was made?

Regards,
Explorer

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Eye of Horus amulet
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:38:40 am »
The material is faience, an Egyptian ceramic made from quartz dust and given a blue glaze.

That is what 99% of the light blue Egyptian items are.  It was made in imitation of turquoise.  Turquoise was restricted to royals and extremely important people while the lesser officials could afford faience.

I will leave details on the repentant for the true experts.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

a

Re: Eye of Horus amulet
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:11:49 am »
Thank you for this input. So, it is the difference between handcrafted product and mass production. I assume this one is indeed faience product.
On the web, I see almost similar amulets found in archeological context. They are dated between 800 to 600BCE.
Explorer

All coins are guaranteed for eternity