Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Back from an extended hiatus  (Read 1259 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Back from an extended hiatus
« on: March 21, 2021, 09:14:23 pm »
Evening all.

Due to many issues out of my control, I have been away from cleaning and collecting for a few years. Needless to say things have settled down a tad and I am settling back in to what I hope is sustained normalcy
! :)

So, picked up my first lot of uncleaned's the other day...actually, I hit a few site's "premium" lots and heh...not so great. A few decent, but no where near the quality of the late 90's early 2000's. I was able to rescue a well struck silvered Probus VICTORIA GERM, but mostly culls. Does this seem to be about normal these days? When I last stopped, uncleaned Syrian tets were the rage. :)

Anyway, I hope that this sub-forvm still gets at least a little traffic, there used to be a ton of good info here.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Back from an extended hiatus
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 09:34:02 pm »
Welcome back Chris!

You're right, uncleaned lots are not what they used to be.  Tough to get true "premium" uncleaned lots.

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 05:10:34 pm »
Have to agree. I started with uncleaned  about 10 -15 years ago.  I did get one or two nice coins and a few reasonable late romans; but it quickly became mostly culls.  I'm afraid the uncleaned market currently has sadly deteriorated to the point of not being worth the bother.  I do miss it  but so it is.  I haven't bought uncleaned in several years; don't need more barely identifiable fel temps or culs for the box.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 07:04:25 pm »
Welcome back Chris.

I suspect you are true from what i hear of other people's experiences.  I haven't bought any for years.

Happily I have many still uncleaned that I am saving for a future day.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 12:39:42 pm »
I am hoping my eye is as good as it used to be...I may find something out there worth cleaning!  ;D

Until that point though...I have an "in my price range" Didius Julianus coming to fill a hole in my "Year of Five Emperors" section...I will post once I get it and take pics.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity