Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

VanMeter 12 Caesars book?

(1/2) > >>

David Atherton:
I have seen listed a book called The 12 Caesars by David VanMeter and was wondering if anyone has read it? Is it a catalog or history book or both?

I did a search for it on the web but came up with nothing. :-\

Severus_Alexander:
I haven't heard anything about this book.  

Sorry.

Sherrye:
I have a book by David VanMeter "Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins" which is a well-known reference book, and I have a book "The 12 Caesars" by Suetorius which is an historical book on the lives of the first 12 caesars. They are two separate books.

Sherrye

David Atherton:
I have VanMeter's Handbook Of Roman Imperial Coins but in another bibliography I had seen a book titled Coins of the 12 Caesars by David VanMeter. The book was put out by Laurion Press but it is not mentioned on their website now.

Bobicus:

--- Quote from: Sherrye on August 19, 2004, 01:52:28 pm ---I have a book by David VanMeter "Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins" which is a well-known reference book, and I have a book "The 12 Caesars" by Suetorius which is an historical book on the lives of the first 12 caesars. They are two separate books.

Sherrye

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure that David is aware of the 12 Caesars by Suetonius since it is a classic and all.  And most of us have Van Meter's hand book.  I'm just guessing that David knows the difference.

I think the book he was asking about was:

The Coins of the Twelve Caesars: A Numismatic History of Rome
by David Van Meter  which is listed over at Amazon as being out of print.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version