Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient glass rock?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline VCollector

• Consul
Ancient glass rock?
« on: April 27, 2019, 06:39:03 pm »

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Re: Ancient glass rock?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:02:12 pm »
It _looks_ similar but short of a chemical analysis, I don't think anyone will be able to tell absolutely.  On the other hand, I don't think anyone will be able to definitively say otherwise, either.  Does it have "lime stone" deposits like some of the others?"  Do you know if it came from Israel (and where in Israel?).  There is green volcanic glass (green obsidian) from Central America, but I doubt that it would look like this.

There is a youtube video about a giant glass slab discovered in Israel (12 tons?), they hypothesize (but that is all it is, a hypothesis), that it is a window from the Temple.  That may be a little optimistic, but it also may be one of the huge slabs before it got broken up.  I would give the name, but I don't know what it would be, I couldn't probably find it again if I wanted to, less than 30-20 minutes.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:27:30 pm »
Might this be the video you're referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_eDWi46h7o

Craig

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 12:24:58 am »
Yes, that is the video I mentioned.  It is fairly speculative in considering this huge block of glass a window for the Temple, but it is a heck of huge block of glass which does spur the question of what is it doing there?  Maybe this is just a big slab that didn't get broken up, but then again, what is it doing in a Israelite graveyard?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 02:20:29 pm »
And as he mentions in the video, it's NOT translucent, so what would be the purpose of having it as a "window", if it isn't going to allow light to pass through?  And I've never seen or heard of any descriptions of the temple stating that it had glass windows.  And even if it did, you'd would assume they too would have been destroyed when the temple was destroyed.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:34:47 pm »
Well, they give the quote that they interpret as 'windows,' but I basically agree with your point, there are difficulties with the account given by the video.  As far as _a_ window surviving, well that could be the accidents of survival.  There is the Derveni ms. which is the oldest book of Europe, you can say 'that is not possible' and yet it happened, the accidents of survival conspired together to preserve this book in a tomb in Greece from the c. 3rd c. BC.  If it was a window, and it was in a fire, then it might have been effected by the fire so it is not translucent.  But, really, all I am comfortable in saying is that it is a big herkin' slab of glass, and the how and why it is there has not, to me, been satisfactorily explained.

ms.=manuscript, also called Derveni papyrus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity