Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient roman ring  (Read 1635 times)

Offline JAMES R4

• Legionary
  • RONDO
    • JAMES RONDINONE PUBLICATIONS
Ancient roman ring
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:53:35 am »
Can someone tell me if this ancient Roman ring is genuine/original?
JAMES RONDINONE

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Ancient roman ring
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 02:21:16 pm »
No.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 02:57:16 pm »
1, seconded ..
2, when asking for help a "please" is only polite..

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 06:56:34 pm »
To me, it looks fake--and fake rings are currently made by the thousands.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 10:58:22 am »
This is weird people come ask, get answers and do not reply afterwards
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 09:39:54 pm »
Quote from: okidoki on March 08, 2021, 10:58:22 am

LOL. I looked at the dates. I think people get upset when they find out they had been taken for a ride on a purchase. Still not a reason to be rude. I was fine when I found out my Alexander the Great coin I bought in Ghazni, Afghanistan while deployed, was a tourist fake. I knew in my heart it wasn't real when I bought it. Even though when in a war, one doesn't think about tourist stuff, but that was exactly what I was in that market. I am glad I learned it was fake from this Forum. It is in my collection with it's own special tag because it is a good story. Case in point:

A number of years ago I bought a pottery vase that was advertised as authentic ancient Greek on a well known auction site.
1. I knew it wasn't authentic, at least I was and am 99.9% sure it is not.
2. The price was so low I couldn't believe it, it was a very low price for any pottery that size made today or any day.
3. I have never tried to get it authenticated and I never tell anyone that it is authentic. It is a beautiful piece that sits on one side of my fireplace. I am still amazed how inexpensive it was. I tell people the story behind it.
4. I don't care if it is real, it is beautiful. If it was real, I probably wouldn't have it sitting where my vacuum cleaner can hit it.
5. If it is real, I hope my heirs figure it out. They will also get my coin collection and I have made sure they know what they have there. Not much, but worthwhile to sell
6. In the meantime, I have a beautiful Greek Hydria vase, old or new, that I paid very little for. I don't care.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 10:16:28 pm »
Quote from: okidoki on March 08, 2021, 10:58:22 am

I do not think it is "weird" only because I think many of these authentication requests are being made in bad faith.  Personally, I am very reluctant to respond to them, although I have to admit I have sometimes in the past baited people I suspect, just to annoy them.  
        If someone has items they know or suspect are fake, but want to sell them, all they need to do is to fish-around for someone to say "looks real to me", which a lot of members of this site do very quickly.  That response gives them a basis to list or claim the item is authentic.  Even though very few people actually get charged with selling fake ancient coins, far more sellers get suspended by websites.  Having a few "expert" opinions can be used to argue against those suspensions.  In face-to-face transactions, it gives bad-faith sellers some minor, perhaps even smug, satisfaction that collecting is a free-for-all and even "experts" can't tell fakes from real, so "why bother being honest", in their mind.  
  I have an acquaintance who I have known since childhood, and he has been involved in various hand-to-hand collectables trading continuously, from comics to militaria and everything in between except numismatics, and the stories he tells of people he has encountered would make you shudder, from church-glass pilferers to grave-robbers.  Fake numismatic items would not give them a moment's hesitation.
    As to rudeness in the initial approach and questions, that's a bad sign, too.  One can google translate a polite introduction to a question from any language.    It's pretty clear when someone has put in some effort to research but simply does not have the experience or reference sources to draw their own conclusions and is seeking help in good faith.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 07:33:57 pm »
I agree and only comment on these sort of things to help educated other interested readers.

There seems to me to be an increasing number of fake inscribed items.  I am always 10x more wary with an inscribed item.

Most importantly the rounded rhombus shape isn't matched by any documented genuine style I am aware of.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity