Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus Ant - RIC vs Cohen question  (Read 769 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Gallienus Ant - RIC vs Cohen question
« on: September 15, 2021, 08:58:23 pm »
I was wondering if anyone would have insight into this RIC Va 18 Gallienus, GERMANICVS MAX V.

RIC lists this type as an obverse with a radiate and cuirassed bust to right holding spear and shield.  No varieties are listed, but five (5) different Cohen numbers are listed against RIC 18.

The primary RIC type is the spear and shield variety, but in Cohen, C308 is the primary type, which is a radiate and cuirassed bust to the right (no spear and shield). 

Elsewhere in RIC Va, it's been my experience that this large a difference in an obverse would generate a different RIC reference number, but not in this case.  Each of the cohen syb-types against RIC 18 are major varieties, like left-facing busts and differences in the obverse legend.

I don't get why this particular coin is treated so oddly in RIC when Cohen had done all the work to catalogue major variants as different coin references.  All very odd.

In any event, I think I'm stuck simply attributing this as RIC 18 var and citing Cohen 308 - what do you folks think?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=172089

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
Re: Gallienus Ant - RIC vs Cohen question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 01:33:20 am »
The best reference on coins of Gallienus is Göbl,

Göbl, Robert, Moneta Imperii Romani, Vienna, 2000

Band 35: Die Münzprägung des Kaiser Valerianus I / Gallienus / Saloninus / (253/268), Regalianus (260) un Macrianus / Quietus (260/262). (Vienna, 2000).

There are several obverse variants listed for GERMANICVS MAX V from Colonia Agrippinensium (Cologne) mint, and your coin is MIR 872n (15 specimens known).

Teutoburgium

Offline Laurentius

• Praetorian
  • Laurentius
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 02:19:35 am »
It´s Göbl 872l, nice coin!

The points(dot´s) in the legend and the bust variant are decisive here.

best regards

Ralph

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 03:30:50 am »
Ribbons are also  decisive : l ( first divergent) , n ( afterward parallel). So it is  872 l.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 07:58:35 am »
Thanks folks. Guess I need to find the gobl reference. Are any ecopies readily available?

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 12:05:55 pm »
I didn't find an ebook, but there are hard copies for sale in Germany (bookfinder.com).

RSC IV, page 72, lists 4 coins referenced to RIC 18. These are numbered 308-311 and correspond to Cohen numbers. Number 308 is a match for your coin and is described exactly as you have described the coin in your Forum Gallery.

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 01:29:03 pm »
Göbl etc is still available from source
https://verlag.oeaw.ac.at/Reihen/Moneta-Imperii-Romani

As unfortunately RIC ist more than out of date for this reign I can advice a purchase (from whomever, maybe Forum stocks it, too)
The book is definitely cheaper than a nice antoninianus.

Regards
Klaus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 02:20:16 pm »
Hi,

In the short term why not try Ed Flynn's huge online collection of Gallienus, catalogued by MIR/Geobl number:

http://www258.pair.com/denarius/

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 09:16:24 am »
Göbl is a great book.  Well worth ordering.  And the physical book is definitely better than any e-version as you can flip back and forth easily.

it is quite easy to use for non-German speakers as all the key info is in chart form and the photos.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 11:44:55 am »
Göbl is a great book.  Well worth ordering.  And the physical book is definitely better than any e-version as you can flip back and forth easily.

it is quite easy to use for non-German speakers as all the key info is in chart form and the photos.

SC

Thanks Shawn, I'll add it to the shopping list!

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity