Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip II. Mule  (Read 324 times)

Offline Priscus

• Praetorian
  • Priscus
Philip II. Mule
« on: August 26, 2021, 01:56:35 pm »
 Salve,

I received this nice hybrid coinage from Rome in the last few days.

Philip II.

Obv. IMP MIVL PHILIPPVS AVG
radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rv. AEQVITAS AVGG
Equity standing left, holding scales with right hand and cornucopia in left arm
RIC - , 4,042g , Rome
- Mule with Reveres of Philip I. summer /autumn 247 AD

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=171746

A really rare specimen and for me the question arises: How did these hybrid mintings come into being again ?
Since the 3rd Officina minted for Philip II and the stamp was probably used in the 2nd Officina for Philip I, there must have been a deliberate exchange and/or the two Officina's worked more closely together and it happened by chance.

The only thing that can be determined with relative certainty is the time of minting. The obverse was produced in the short time of summer / autumn 247, shortly after the elevation of Philip II to Augustus. Since the here was inscription used only briefly for the minting of PAX AETERNA (the only known variant) and later the inscription on the obverse was changed to IMP PHILIPPVS AVG.
The reverse is similar. This variant of the AEQVITAS AVGG (V1) was only minted in this form until the middle of 247 and then replaced by the AEQVITAS AVGG (V2) type with high hair. Thus, this mintage seems to fall into the short phase July/August to October/November 247.

Priscus

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Re: Philip II. Mule
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 04:21:55 pm »
The reverse lettering has no crossbar on the letter A -- which may indicate the mint of Antioch.

Have you considered RIC 246, which is listed in a section called "Hybrids with reverses of Philip I" ?

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 06:52:25 pm »
Hi,

For me this looks like an Antioch mint product.

The M of IMP on the obverse is rendered as IVI (Antioch), rather than looking like two lambdas (Rome), combined with the staring Eastern eye on the bust.
Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Priscus

• Praetorian
  • Priscus
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 02:41:06 pm »
Thank you very much for your answers.

I also suspected this, but I stumbled over the "S" letters on the reverses.  But I will compare the letters again with Antioch.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity