Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vatican  (Read 804 times)

strelets

Vatican
« on: February 16, 2007, 03:28:25 am »
Hi friends!

Maybe this coin is too modern for this board but anyway can you help to read the information from this coin. (the date, the ruler, the denomination).

Thank you!

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re: Vatican
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:47:51 am »
I would say Papal State, not Vatican.

I vaguely seem to read INNOC / ENTIVS / XI PM / AN IX (1684) and the coat of arms Muntoni #169, so i believe this is Innocenzo XI, Benedetto Odescalchi di Como (21 setp 1676 - 12 aug 1689).

Perhaps a quattrino struck at Gubbio (what's the size? 20-21 mm?); tentatively i would say Muntoni 283, but there some other types with minor variations, so i can be wrong.

LuigiĀ 
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

strelets

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:06:23 am »
Hi Luigi ,
you are quite right, it's INNOC / ENTIVS / XI PM / AN I.

The coin is 21 mm.

If I right understood you, it's - quattrino (1684) of Innocenzo XI, Benedetto Odescalchi di Como (21 setp 1676 - 12 aug 1689)?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:12:16 am »

you are quite right, it's INNOC / ENTIVS / XI PM / AN I.

AN IX (not AN I) that stands for "year 9" of his papacy.

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

strelets

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:14:21 am »
Luigi, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super!!!!!!!!!!!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity