Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mystery Greek?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Mystery Greek?
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:31:18 pm »
5g about 20mm.  From the obv, can't tell if it's a nymph, Athena, etc.  The rev might possibly be Victory advancing left with [ ]  :Greek_Pi:A :Greek_Pi_2: :Greek_Omega: :Greek_Pi_2: in front of it? To the right,  :GreeK_Sigma:T :Greek_Lambda:A?
I started by going through Forum's catalogue and the only selection criteria that I could use were Greek and bronze.  I'm so sick of looking at Ptolemaic coins!  I only made through 102 of 300+ pages.  On the other hand, it was an education in the beauty and variety of the Greek coins.
Nevertheless, help.
Raymond 
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
Re: Mystery Greek?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:41:42 pm »
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 04:10:13 pm »
You're probably right with Thrace; I would say Mesembria with Athena Promachos on reverse.
I'm sorry i can't tell this for sure from your picture.
This is what i see:

Luigi

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:04:41 pm »
That must be right.  Here's another, not so nice.  All of these are Hellenistic.
• 10 III 00 AE21.  Thrace, Mesembria (colony of Megara).  Sear 1677 (3-2 c. BC), larger than 1676 and with sigma in the legend instead of tau.  Female head to r.  Rev. Athena Alkidemos and MESAM  BRIANON.
Pat L.

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:27:45 pm »
Thank you so much for thinking about this coin.  I made it through another 100 Greeks of Forum's catalogue (sold + available) today...
I sense with your help, I got closer.
Question: the characters to the left of the standing figure (as I see it) are all lined up in a 90 degree angle, right? (As in, I would tilt the coin to have the figure's nose pointing straight down, and then I could read across the characters, left to right).  Is this the name of the magistrate?
I've attempted another scan (my 11 year-old son/assistant is not available) of the rev.
I thank all of you again for taking the time to help me in this research.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:04:52 pm »

I don’t know if this will lend anything whatsoever to anyone else, but on close inspection in side-by-side, it does seem to me too that, not surprisingly, Luigi has nailed it.

Seems (to me at-least) the trace-outline of the shield is visible on Raymond’s coin, as well as the B (part of P) and upper part of the A – of B P I A N  :Greek_Omega: N.

Another example, from CA.*

Raymond, yes – your orientation of the coin reverse is correct for the reading: which should read – M E  :GreeK_Sigma: A M – B P I A N  :Greek_Omega: N
  ( Mesembria – as Pat has shown above).

Best,
  Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:11:28 pm »
How extraordinary!  In hand, the similarity is more readily obvious.  I'm so impressed.  Thank you.  I really like the obv, it's hauntingly beautiful; the rev... well, mine's kind of a cross between a marionette and Terminator with 70's shoulder pads!
I see the writing! I was so off, and had five different combinations that I tried to match.... Ouf!
Thank you
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 11:28:03 pm »

Ave Raymond!

For whatever its worth – I agree entirely and, ‘hauntingly beautiful’ I think a most apt description.
  It really is..!

Best,
  Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity