Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vologases I believe, but where to look?  (Read 937 times)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Vologases I believe, but where to look?
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:04:01 pm »
Hi All,

I bought this on a whim a couple of years ago.  Lovely looking coin, although whilst my coin knowledge is small, this falls right outside of it.

Where could I go to look for more data on it, and is it Vologases to start with.  Also which one?

regards

Mark

ken weber

Re: Vologases I believe, but where to look?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:34:42 pm »
Try this site, it seems to have a lot of information: http://www.parthia.com/vologases1.htm though I have no idea how reliable it is.  if you go to the search bar at the top, it lists all the vologases's there are, with plenty of examples.  however, these unfortunately show only the bust and have just descriptions of the reverses.  I suggest browsing through these for a while and see if you find any matches. (I'd try and give you the exact one myself, but im no expert at these kinds of coins)

oh, you actually can see the reverse...just click on the picture and an enlargement of both sides comes up.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:44:39 pm »
Thanks Hannibal. 

So Vologases I, and I believe a Sellwood Type 70.  Described as Obv/ bare-headed bust left with beard tapering but square cut, wart on brow, earring visible; wearing diadem with loop at the top and two ends; wavy hair. Neck torque has no end; beaded border. Aramaic inscription ( = wl )
Rev/ archer seated right on throne holding bow; below bow monogram 26. Somewhat blundered Greek inscriptionMonogram 26 looks a bit like  :ATV: without the V  :)

Does that sound correct?

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 05:13:45 am »
I think that I have found the perfect match!

Vologases III, not Vologases I.  see http://www.parthia.com/coins/pdc_3415.jpg

Description of the above pic on this page, http://www.parthia.com/vologases3.htm, and is :-

Obv/ bare-headed bust left with long, pointed beard wearing diadem with loop at the top and three ends; earring visible; border of dots
Rev/ archer seated right on throne holding bow; archer's seat represented as horizontal line; blundered Greek legend; monogram Shore 73 below bow

Thanks again for the initial pointer Hannibal

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 03:37:20 pm »
Yes, it is Vologases III, 105-147 AD.  Sellwood 78.5, minted at Ecbatana.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:57:03 pm »
Excellent, thanks for the confirmation Howard :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity