Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gloria Exercitvs  (Read 759 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Gloria Exercitvs
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:04:52 pm »
Just cleaned a really nice Constantine, Gloria Exercitvs and am confused on the attribution.

Obv:CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG
Rev:GLORIA EXERCITVS

Exergue SMANB

When I check out wildwinds, they show a Sear 3886 Variant with this exact coin.  Yet in the book it shows as a RIV VII, 86  What is the difference? I can find no real reference to why there is the later attribution.  Any help appreciated
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline John the Chess Guy

• Praetorian
  • Amici Sumus! We are friends!
Re: Gloria Exercitvs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:10:45 am »
That is a nice coin.

RIC VII 86 (Antioch, p. 693) lists the coin's bust type as E8 (rosette diadem, draped. cuirassed) and it is listed as C-2 (common) with the SMANB exergue. RIC, of course, being a separate reference from Sear.

Just guessing, but the variations might be because of the different bust types or obverse legends?! At least that is the case in RIC.

John
LM ANA 2342 / LM CSNS 337
SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Re: Gloria Exercitvs
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 01:08:44 am »
Thats what has me confused, they call the ones in wildwinds variants, yet they are identical to the one I have.  thanks about the coin, it was a desert coin.  bit of scrubbing, ultrasound and it came out like that.  I am very happy with it, have several others including a few campgates I will be cleaning up soon.  thanks for the input. Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

All coins are guaranteed for eternity