Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Does this Coin Need More Cleaning?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Does this Coin Need More Cleaning?
« on: December 27, 2020, 07:52:11 pm »
I am new to cleaning uncleaned coins and am finding that trying to figure out now much to clean is a challenge. This coin pictured below was in pretty good shape to start with. I used distilled water soaks for around three weeks, changing water occasionally, plus a little brushing. Then I soaked for 15 minutes in warm soapy water, rinsed and brushed again and very little working with a toothpick.

The big question is how much more cleaning should I do, if any. I am being as gentle as possible with this. Thanks for any input.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Does this Coin Need More Cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 08:11:14 pm »
I'd say is done.  Looks great as is.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 08:46:43 pm »
Thank you. On to the next one.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 03:39:54 am »
very nice indeed
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 11:50:45 am »
I would want to be able to make out the mint mark.  Maybe you can with the coin in hand, but from the photo you can tell what the first (officina) letter is.

I am assuming it is a [ ]SIS :sunburst: mark.  But the first letter is not clear.

If you can't make it out you could try to clean just that portion by soaking the coin in warm water and then rubbing away at that area with a bamboo skewer (either end - the blunt end would actually probably be better).  Rub in small circular motions while it is still wet, wipe on paper towel, repeat, and you might be able to get just a bit more dirt off that part.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 12:42:19 pm »
Otlichnik, thank you for the suggestion and after spending a few hours last night attributing the coin (I am new to this as well, so I am pretty slow), I think I have it identified except for that mint mark. It seems that there are a number of varients associated with this particular coin. I will do what you suggested and see if I can get that more clear. Once I think I have the coin identified, I will post in coin identification to see if I was right or not. Again, thank you.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 04:20:22 pm »
Oops.  Hope I didn't give too much away.  Good luck with the cleaning and attribution.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 07:05:22 pm »
Oops.  Hope I didn't give too much away.  Good luck with the cleaning and attribution.

SC

Ha ha, no, I don't think you did. I had the parts you mentioned identified and have been stumped with that first letter, as well. I was going to just go with what I had. I may be off, but I have it narrowed down to a specific RIC number with a bunch of variants in the group. I appreciate your input. I am learning and find this a lot of fun as it allows me to interact more with the hobby than just admiring the coins I have from time to time. I love doing that, too, but this is another level of enjoyment (and frustration at times). I will certainly ask for verification once I am done to make sure I have it right and learn from getting it wrong if that happens. Thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity