Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius help  (Read 197 times)

Offline Danny E

• Praetorian
Carausius help
« on: December 10, 2014, 03:12:43 pm »
Hi , I recenty found this carausius but I'm having trouble with the reverse , it looks like provident but it looks to read pax ?
Any help would be very much appreciated
Thanks .

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Carausius help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:37:47 pm »
Hi,

You are correct. This coin does read PAX AVGGG and has Pax hoding a smal Victory on globe and a transverse sceptre. Mintmark S/P//MLXXI from London. The obverse should read IMP C CARAVSIVS PF AVG, although the latter part of the legend is not visible in the picture. It is RIC 145, Bourne 31, Carson 20.

A nice "three emperors" coin and a reverse type missing from my collection.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Danny E

• Praetorian
Re: Carausius help
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »
Thank very much for your help , it's nice to be able to attribute it correctly .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity