Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Egypto-Roman Glass Pendant-Token  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Ancient Egypto-Roman Glass Pendant-Token
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:33:16 am »
High Folks,

I'm wondering how many of these pendants are in museum or private collections because I haven't found many. Do any members have one of these?

It is a Janus head pendant of two Selinus (?) heads; made of translucent dark blue glass; height: 26 mm; weight: 3.75 grams. It was mold made, possibly by dipping a metal rod into molten glass, then pressing the hot glass between two molds, thus the pendant appears to be pierced half way through from the bottom because a hole remained in the glass after the rod was removed.
     Petrie (cited below) indicated these pendants may have been given as tokens at the baths, and were worn about the neck to prove that admission was paid, and when leaving the baths the suspension loop was broken. The vast majority of these pendants have broken suspension loops. This example is unusual because the loop in intact. Petrie also indicated that these pendants were only found in Egypt.
     They were not meant to survive antiquity!
Bibliography:
1.   Petrie, W.M. Flinders. Glass Stamps and Weights. London: British School of Archaeology in Egypt, 1926 (reprinted by Aris & Phillips, and Malter, Warminster/Encino, 1974: page 2, Plate I.
2.   Griefenhagen, A. Schmuckarbeiten in Edelmettal-Berlin, 2 vols., Berlin: 1975: Volume 2, Plate 21, 2.
Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity