Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crusaders . County of Tripoli. Lordship of Botron PB seal  (Read 279 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Crusaders . County of Tripoli. Lordship of Botron PB seal
« on: January 15, 2023, 09:53:52 pm »
This seal was sold  last May by Swiss auction house for about $3800 plus fees.
The reference description from that lot :
Crusaders . County of Tripoli. Lordship of Botron  PB seal .
BOAMVN-DVS⋮DNS⋮BOTRONIS Armored knight, holding sword in his right hand and with a shield over his left shoulder, charging right on horseback.  ✠CASTELLVM⋮BOTRONI⋮ Castle facade with three towers.
Reference given in this lot - Archives nationales de France, AE/III/141 - seems to be wrong.

I found five more seals of this type . And now we have six seals  look almost identical  ( different patina and state of preservation)
Left to right
1. Nomos 24 / lot 477 .  40 mm / 65.05 g
2. 45 mm . 
3. Unknown
4. Unknown
5. Unknown
6. The Zacos Collection of Byzantine Seals, part II . Lot 142 . 64.40 g. The reference in Zacos collection sale -  Seyrig 813 (Les sceaux byzantins de la collection Henri Seyrig

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it doesn't look very good.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Crusaders . County of Tripoli. Lordship of Botron PB seal
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 10:39:36 pm »
I don't see this as condemning. Am I missing something?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 11:44:59 pm »
I'm not condemning anything yet . That's why I posted this here to hear the opinions of others . I'm just asking if it's possible to have six seals with the same dies on almost identical flans , with the same place of striking . I'm not sure if other examples of this type are known  besides these six. (maybe I just didn't find it)
Regards,
Vlad .

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 04:05:23 am »
The Seyrig parallel is also from these dies, if my eyes are not mistaken. 813 is the inventory no., it is no. 380 in the book. I suspect that this is the piece that Nomos referenced to Paris, as the Seyrig collection is now in the BnF. Like Joe, I also don't see any problems with these. Same dies and similar (but not identical of course) flan shapes are expected for seals of this period, Latin and Greek. Don't know what you mean with 'place of striking'. Centered? Also does not seem to be a problem.
Regards,
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity