Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Syrian Augusta need help w/year  (Read 661 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Syrian Augusta need help w/year
« on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:42 pm »
have a coin I started working on, I am sure it is an AUGUSTUS
Obv:KAISAPI SEBASTW APXIEPEI
Rev:APXIE / PATIKON / ANTIOXEIS within wreath. The fourth line is the problem.  Very hard to read.  In hand it seems to be SK and I know this is where they determine the year. 

(BMC 145; RPC 4259) and I am not absolutely sure of the attribution.  The coin archives coin pic is not very clear and the wildwinds coin has the last line split (5 total lines, instead of 4)

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Mark Farrell

Re: Syrian Augusta need help w/year
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:45:46 pm »
Jim,

Is your coin about 16-17 g? I presume this to be the large denomination because the reverse legend is in four lines (the medium denomination is in five lines).

As you noted the Actian year is recorded in the fourth line. These coins were minted in Antioch over a six year span of time, from Actian year 25 through 30, which corresponds to 7/6 BC - 2/1 BC. The possible Actian dates are below, all dispositions are for the large denomination only:

EK (unknown)
SK (unknown)
ZK BMC 133
HK BMC 138
 :Greek_Theta: K BMC 141
 :Greek_Lambda: BMC 145

If your coin were truly an SK, that would be very, very special. But I suspect that it is ZK, as that is more likely. Keep cleaning and let me know how it turns out. That is a good looking coin, though. Information above from Butcher's Coinage in Roman Syria.

Mark

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:01:02 pm »
I can't believe I forgot to post the weight, scaled it and measured it before I posted the message.  Yes your right on the money (pardon the pun), it measures 26mm short side and 29mm long sideScales out at 16.0g I am going to do some very very gentle cleaning on that part of the coin, I really like this one, the obverse portrait is really nice.  I just got around to checking some of my provincials and am finding some nice ones.

Thanks for the comeback, will try to pull out the date and post it,
Thanks Jim

Mark Farrell

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 01:16:12 pm »
Either way, that's a heck of a nice coin to get in an uncleaned batch. Congratulations.

Mark

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 01:39:58 pm »
I did some more gentle cleaning and the date seems to be  :Greek_Theta: K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity