Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Would like your opinion  (Read 930 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Would like your opinion
« on: February 27, 2007, 07:57:38 pm »
I picked up a few coins with a "desert" patina.  My question is would you leave them in their current state or clean them to show even more detail.  I have a small group of these type coins and am always torn as to what the right thing to do with them might be...

Obv: VRBS ROMA - Helmeted bust of Roma left, cuirassed.
Rev: no legend - Wolf and twins Romulus and Remus, above are two stars.
Exe: SMTS (epsilon) Thessalonica mint: AD 330-333 = RIC VII, 187

Constantine I AE 3
obv: CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG. Laureate head right.
rev: GLORIA EXERCITVS. Soldier standing left, looking
right, reversed spear in right hand, left hand on
shield set on ground.
left field: gamma
ex: CONS
RIC VII 16
Constantinople, 327 A.D.
r3

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Would like your opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 08:04:02 pm »
That is entirely up to your taste my friend.

I would never touch it. Desert patina, in my opinion, is the most beautiful one. The coins look really nice as they are.

Best wishes,
Burak

vic9128

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:06:55 pm »
your GLORIA EXERCITVS is RIC 22 (head with rosette diadem). I might try to lightly brush these a bit, but the detail is pretty clear. It all depends on what appeals to you though. I don't like how part of the bust is obscured on the GE coin.

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 08:27:56 pm »
I tend to agree with both of you (and thanks for the heads up on the rosette diadem victor).  I had a nice constantine I, gloria and cleaned it.  The detail was really good, but the patina was very dark hard to pull out the details.  I think a light brushing and these will stay like they are now.  Thanks for the input, this board has brought me along in this hobby at a furious clip.  I have learned the cardinal rule... don't rush!  Thanks again and any more opinions would still be appreciated.  thanks again, Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 08:57:49 pm »
I like the desert patinas almost always - unless they are very thick and obscure most detail. I like the VRBS coin as is! For Con I, I might lightly brush the obverse to get a bit more out on the bust. The reverse I would hold. Nice CONS mint!

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 05:18:01 am »
I'd leave these alone. If you ever want to do further cleaning on one of these, use dry methods only. Chemicals completely ruin them!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:36:27 am »
Personally I would not touch the Urbs Roma, it's perfect as is. The other one I would dry brush with a nylon brush either by hand or gently with a dremel on low to thin out / smooth out the sand just a bit.

Both great coins as is though!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity