Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 4 Roman Antoniniane?  (Read 901 times)

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
4 Roman Antoniniane?
« on: February 25, 2007, 06:38:23 am »
I've just won these four Romans and as a mainly Greek collector am somewhat clueless for specific ID. The reason I got this lot was becuase one of them (bottom right) was a coin of Valbalathus, the young king of the Palmyrene empire who I've recently been learning about in my Roman Syria module. In the lecture and seminar we looked at his coinage and discussed that he was essentially a pretender to the Roman Imperial throne rather than a rebel as his later coins ditch recognising Aurelian and are in the Roman style with Roman legends rather than emphasising his other status as King of Kings in the Eastern fashion. I find him an intruiging figure and wanted one of his issues for my collection.

Anyways, ID help is much appreciated.

Andy

P.S I may be persuaded to let go the other 3 coins once they are ID'd, so if you are interested give me a pm.
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: 4 Roman Antoniniane?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:53:51 am »
Here are two of the four.  I am still looking for the Salonina and the Aurelian

Claudius II AE Antoninianus. IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA AVG, Victory standing left with wreath & cornucopia. RIC 104, Cohen 293.

Vabalathus & Aurelian Æ Antoninianus. Antioch Mint, VABALATHVS VCIMDR, laureate draped bust right / IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate & cuirassed bust right, D below, RIC 381.

Best, Noah

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:02:46 am »
Other two:

Aurelian AE Antoninianus. Ticinum mint. IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate cuirassed bust right / Oriens AVG, Sol walking left with orb, hand raised, between two captives, treading one down; star to left, QXXT in ex., RIC 151

Salonina AE Antoninianus. SALONINA AVG, diademed bust right, draped & on a crescent / PVDICITIA, Pudicitia standing left, holding patera & scepter. RIC 25, Cohen 94.

Best, Noah

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 01:55:43 pm »
That's fantastic thanks Noah!  :)
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

All coins are guaranteed for eternity