Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Good thing no question is too basic, 'cuz I have a real basic one...  (Read 1381 times)

Roni(VA)

How do you tell when a coin is a fake?  If it is not a fake, how to you identify it?  A friend of mine gave me six ancient coins and a small egyptian looking figurine.  He wants to know if they are fake and if not, are they valuable? I have attached pictures of two of the coins which are alike - both sides.    My friend was told by a flea market coin dealer that one of the coins is a 300 year old fake, but worth about a hundred bucks.  Were they really counterfeiting coins in the 1700s?  I tried to look through the Fake Reports but quickly got overwhelmed.  I don't even know what kind of coins these are.  HELP!

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Good thing no question is too basic, 'cuz I have a real basic one...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 05:45:07 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Yes, they are definitely fake about I won't count on them being worth a hundred dollars. People have been counterfeiting coins ever since they were being made.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:47:46 pm »
But yours are not ancient counterfeits but quite modern.
Andreas Reich

Roni(VA)

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:49:57 pm »
So, how can I tell?  Here are two more.

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:00:56 pm »
First off, the coins look exactly the same. In ancient times the coins were struck by hand so the chances of two coins having the same wear and their die axis are probably the same. Having two of the same coins pretty much guarantees that they are fake.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 06:46:03 pm »
Until you become experienced, your coins posted here are splendid examples of one thing to watch out for.  Each of those is carefully calculated to appeal to, to grab, someone who typically will find the subject matter fascinating (and, incidentally, the very word 'fascinating' in your head is a warning to hold onto your pursestrings).  The coins you posted are outstandingly obvious specimens of the category of Fantasy Coins.  For all their interest and variety compared with modern ones, ancients weren't made as collectibles but as currency.  How do fakers know what someone will find 'fascinating'?  They just do.
Pat L.

Roni(VA)

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 05:24:53 pm »
Unfortunately, I'm not likely to get more experienced.  My interests lie more in glassware and metal detecting more modern coins.  Still, I would like to be able to help out my friend, who has done more than his share of favors for me.  If it is not presumptious, I have posted one side of each of the last two coins - just to make it fair, would someone please verify that they are also both fake or at least worth me posting the pic of the other side?  One more question, can anyone offer a good place for me to go to ask about the statuette?  Thank you so much for all your information!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity