Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Voconius  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Voconius
« on: July 26, 2007, 05:04:11 am »
???

Offline RomaVictor

• Praetorian
  • Initium Dimidium Facti
Re: Voconius
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:56:30 am »
I've been looking at this one too and it raised lots of doubts with me. My feeling says: don't buy :)

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:19:36 am »
I do not speak French, but it looks like someone asked if this is a reproduction.  Can anyone translate this?

Q:    b elle reproduction malheuresement trop belle pour etre authentique cordialement un archeologue    26-Juil-07

R :     vous etes trop fort. je ne pense pas que vous ailler raison car vous n'averz ps vus la monnaie. la balance est claire mais sant les virgul donc il y a un doute puisque il n'y a pas les virgule. enin elle a été expertiser par un pro qui m'as affirmer qu'elle étais autentique et qu'as cette effet je pouvais le signaler dans mon annonce. qu'est ce qui vous fais dire que c'est une fausse ? Dévolloper votre argmentation je veus des explication, c'est trop facile de dire elle est trop belle donc elle et fausse. vous voyer se que je veus dire
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:22:13 am »
Terrible result from an electronic translation but enough to get the gist of it:

Q: b it reproduction malheuresement too nice for etre genuine warmly an archeologue

A: etes you too extremely. I do not think that to ailler you reason because you not averz PS seen the currency. the scales are clear but sant virgul therefore there is a doubt since there is not comma. enin it was to value by a pro with me assert that it props autentique and that whizz this effect I could signal it in my announcement. what make you say that it is a wrong? Dévolloper your argmentation I veus explanation of, it is too easy to say it is too nice therefore it

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:51:48 am »
Better translation:

Nice reproduction, but unfortunately too nice to be genuine. Yours, An archaeologist.

You go too far.  I don't think you're right because you haven't seen the coin.  The weight is clear but only to the nearest gram and I can't specify the tenths of a gram.  But I had the coin authenticated by a professional who assured me it was genuine and said I could quote him in my description.  What makes you say it is fake?  Give reasons, I'd like an explanation, it's too facile to just say the coin is too nice to be authentic.  You see what I am getting at.
Curtis Clay

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 06:47:55 pm »
A Victorinus/Gallienus hybrid is a bit surprising! All I can say is, the style of both faces looks OK. Two people between them appear to have triggered a bidding frenzy.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:24:34 am »
Hi

I dont know about these 2 coins but I do know that I read recently of a large number of these silver 'Augustus' coins coming to the market - all fake.

I think at another site will try and find.

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 02:48:21 am »
Hi,

It is just not possible to pair the Victorinus obverse with the Gallienus reverse, two different mints for a start. They are certainly of official style for each of the mints and I suspect that there is a photo mix up (the flans are slightly different shape and the vendor is selling quite a few similar coins and with his attempt at numbering the obverse and reverse of the coin the way he does I'm not surprised he's mis matched them).

Regards,

mauseus

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 03:55:33 am »
It is just not possible to pair the Victorinus obverse with the Gallienus reverse, two different mints for a start. They are certainly of official style for each of the mints and I suspect that there is a photo mix up (the flans are slightly different shape and the vendor is selling quite a few similar coins and with his attempt at numbering the obverse and reverse of the coin the way he does I'm not surprised he's mis matched them).
mauseus
For sure! I was wondering that some collectors did not notice this obvious mix-up...
And 250 EUR for a crying fake...   

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 05:03:50 am »
That's what I was thinking, Mauseus, but my wife needed the computer, and I didn't have time to check where the Gallienus was minted. Given that the two empires were at war, I felt the combination was impossible on basic principles!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Falderal

• Consul
    • The Metaphor Observatory
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 01:40:17 pm »
Given that the two empires were at war, I felt the combination was impossible on basic principles!

They were on opposite sides of the coin...  :laugh:

It never ceases to amaze me what you guys catch here.
"Coining a word leaves your mouth minty fresh!" - G.G. Falderal

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 04:47:40 pm »
I was thinking the Victorinus/Gallienus was amazing.  I was frustrated that I couldn't explain it - looks so genuine but also impossible.  But I forgot something that we must remember whenever we look at coins on the web - we aren't looking at coins, we are looking at photos.  I should have realized these are photos of genuine coins, but two genuine coins.   Thanks for pointing that out mauseus.   I feel better.  :)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ilya Prokopov

• Staff Authentication Consultant
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Consul
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • Dr. Ilya Prokopov's Fake Ancient Coin Reports
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 03:26:32 pm »
The coin is fake.Published in Prokopov I. and R. Manov. Counterfeit studios and their coins. Sofia 2005, p. 60, no. 77."
Ilya Prokopov
Staff Authentication Consultant
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity