Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lycia: unpublished coins???? (3)  (Read 1223 times)

patara001

Lycia: unpublished coins???? (3)
« on: July 21, 2007, 04:42:53 pm »
Here come two more coin from my collection of lycian coins. I have checked all sources I could find (CoinArchive, SNG v.Aulock, SNG Copenhagen, SNG Helsinki) and I think the coins are unpublished. As I want to publish them, I need to be shure, they haven't been published before. At this point I would like to ask for your help. If you have got any information that might help me, I would be very grateful.

The first coin:
Unknown dynasts
Tetrobol, silver (Billon?), 2.32 gr., 14 mm

The second coin:
Unknown dynasts
Tetrobol, silver, 1.97 g. , 14 mm

Some more coins will follow.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

pulvinar

Re: Lycia: unpublished coins???? (3)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:57:58 am »
Coin #2 looks like a type I've seen before.  The first coin's flan is a bit troubling, but I see nothing in the strike that immediately sets off alarm bells.

It's occurred to me that all of your pictures appear to be taken by different individuals/methods and some appear to be ripped from eBay postings.  Why?  If you can take better pictures of some of these coins it would be very helpful in determining attribution and/or authenticity.

Pul

patara001

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:21:13 pm »
Hello Pul.

All of the pictures are from eBay offers. Sorry, I don't have the equipment to take better ones.

patara001

pulvinar

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:35:53 pm »
Do you have a way to measure the average thickness of the coins?  This might help...particularly with that very questionable Kherei stater.  I'm still most interested in getting better pictures or more detailed information about that coin given the reverse die similarities to a piece I own.

Thanks,
Pul

patara001

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:45:31 am »
Hello Pul.

The thickness of the Kherei coin is close to 4mm, maybe a little bit less.

The reverse die (maybe also the obverse die) seems to be the same like a coin (8.6 gr.) sold at ebay in March 2006 (see attached picture).

Best regards

patara001

pulvinar

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:40:39 pm »
That's my coin.  Now, you see the interest. 

It seems very improbable that the same die would be used on two coins that vary by 3 grams.  My example is an ex. Pars Coins, which was then sold by the eBay seller last year.  Here's the Sear certificate for my coin.

So, we are faced with the prospect of:

1.) both are fake (based upon the very low weight of your coin).

2.) mine is authentic and yours is a fake made from either my coin or the 2005 sale coin.

3.) both are authentic and yours is some sort of anomaly or fouree using the same reverse die.

Pul

pulvinar

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:42:21 pm »
While I'm thinking about it, does your example have the same 12 o'clock die axis?

I'll measure out the flan thickness on my piece tonight and post here.

Pul

All coins are guaranteed for eternity