Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC VIII ANTIOCHIA 55A (CONSTANTINOPOLIS)  (Read 486 times)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
RIC VIII ANTIOCHIA 55A (CONSTANTINOPOLIS)
« on: January 10, 2022, 10:31:54 am »
Has anyone ever seen a RIC VIII ANTIOCH 55A? It is Constantinopolis (Victory on prov) type with SMANI in exergue and two dots. But it is uncertain for me where these dots are placed.

I just came across this coin and I wonder if it could be Antioch 55A with two dots. Dots are rather big and nice shaped so hardly accidental.

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: RIC VIII ANTIOCHIA 55A (CONSTANTINOPOLIS)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 11:19:11 am »
Nobody saw ANTIOCHIA 55A? In meantime I found another candidate. So which one is the exact type listed in RIC VIII and which one is a variety?
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 11:52:00 am »

Notation on RIC VIII and OCRE (http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.8.anch.55a) is:

MintMark: •/•//SMANA

Thus I would search dots here:

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 03:50:06 pm »

Notation on RIC VIII and OCRE (http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.8.anch.55a) is:

MintMark: •/•//SMANA

Thus I would search dots here:

Yes, but the rest of this issue are GLORIA with one standard and the dots are placed on both sides of the top of standard. But even in this case there are varieties and sometimes dots are "on either side of mint-mark" (footnotes to 51 and 55).

Below example of ANTIOCHIA 54
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 08:19:43 am »
I have not been able to find any examples.

If I recall correctly this isn't the only example where the introduction of a double dot mint mark caused confusion, resulting in variations, about how exactly to do it.  I can't recall the other example, perhaps Arelate?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 09:12:17 am »
I can't recall the other example, perhaps Arelate?

In Arelate thay had problem with a star. Sometimes third star is in exergue and sometimes between two stars at  top. But maybe they did it in purpose, marking a sub-issue.

Here (the first alleged ANTIOCHIA 55A) we have rather odd combination: one dot in exergue and second in left field.

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

All coins are guaranteed for eternity