Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: TIP: START WITH ANCIENT COIN AUTHENTICATION 101  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
TIP: START WITH ANCIENT COIN AUTHENTICATION 101
« on: April 25, 2021, 09:39:58 am »
To learn how to authenticate ancient coins, start here:

Ancient Coin Authentication 101

I have moved the content of some of our sticky posts to this new NumisWiki page. Right now I think it is pretty much a shell page, needing a lot of work. Please feel free to add to and improve the page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Dov M

• Auxiliary
Re: TIP: START WITH ANCIENT COIN AUTHENTICATION 101
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 02:36:17 am »
Hi!
I am a bit overwhelmed by the awesomeness of your site and extensive knowledge. I had the pleasure of purchasing my most prized coin -  a gold daric - from you and it still is the pride of my collection.
I don't really know how or where to ask this, so I am doing so here...
 I am new here and looking for some clarity... After purchasing these coins from what seemed like a reputable seller, I managed to find the seller's Instagram page and it just seems fishy that almost every coin his/hers is quite perfectly shaped. I could barely find info on the actual business but finally got their name: House of Caesars and Caliphs based in Collingwood Toronto. On Ebay they are called HCC biblical judaea Decapolis coins. They were mentioned on a Reddit discussion but not much info could be clarified. I bought a Demetrios ll didrachm, but after feeling in my hand and seeing their other coins, I am suspicious... After a lot of research I also could not find a similar example of the Star of David Crusader coin they sold other than their offerings of many more on ebay... Please help with any clarity about this seller...
I have now really learned to stick with a small list of reknowned honest sellers - as you are, but it wasn't so easy to find a list of good sellers.
Thank you so much!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 03:08:25 pm »
I frankly don't pay much attention to other sellers. It is considered rude and bad practice to denigrate your competition. I have no desire to praise or recommend anyone other than FORVM and our Procurator Monetae member dealers. I really just don't have anything to say about other sellers. I will say I have never heard of the seller you discuss. I have also never heard of a Star of David crusader coin. I have seen Islamic coins with the star and I suspect that is the type you discuss.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Dov M

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 02:30:49 am »
Thank you. I appreciate the reply. Keep up the amazing work you do!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity