Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anaximander's Celtic Gallery  (Read 9781 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Anaximander's Celtic Gallery
« on: November 07, 2019, 10:12:20 am »
I joined Forum Ancient Coins this year and have spent some time uploading coins into galleries and catching up on a decade or more of discussion boards. Yesterday I finally got myself a book on Celtic coinage (Van Arsdell's impressive Celtic Coinage of Britain), so pulled out my Celtic coins, and was pleased to discover this board. I saw several interesting threads, and now can understand the reference to "Kugelwange" types.

I recently finished re-cataloging, re-photographing, and uploading my Macedonian coins, and amid all that I was surprised to find that my Philip II tetradrachm was actually a Celtic imitation. Live and learn!

Here  is my Celtic gallery. It's small in size and scope, with just a handful of coins from each of the British isles and areas near the Danube.  The "ring money" deserve quote marks, at best. I'm now dubious about their status as a medium of exchange and store of value; perhaps we'll just view them as artifacts.

Thumbnails of my collection...

Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Cunobelin

• Auxiliary
  • Lover of Coins and Antiquities, Classical & Celtic
Re: Anaximander's Celtic Gallery
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:34:48 pm »
Ave Anaximander!

I too have been "lurking and learning" but I was inspired when I saw your post to reply. You have a lovely collection. I particularly like the Durotriges and Iceni coins. They have the 'hidden-faces' which I enjoy so much and they are very good quality. I am still in the process of cataloging and photographing my collection of coins (Celtic and Non), but I have gotten very interested in Celtic coinage and the quirkiness of the detail. Thanks very much for sharing and I look forward to seeing more in time! (Hopefully, I'll have mine up to share before too too long!).

All the best,

Cunobelin ;)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 01:33:52 pm »
Thanks Cunobelin  +++. Methinks it time for you to roll out that gallery!  Candidate for a new year’s resolution, perhaps.

And did you know:  Once you get to three posts, you can create an avatar  :).
Perhaps you can find something related to your namesake.

Cheers~
Anaximander
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 03:11:50 pm »
Hi,

Great collection+++ ;)

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 07:56:41 am »
One of the most useful resources for British Celtic coins is Van Ardell's Celtic Coinage of Britain, with the book published in 1989. I was surprised and pleased to see it re-emerge as an eponymous website as a 'second edition' in 2013.  It then saw its third edition, in electronic form, in 2017.   

You can find it at: https://vanarsdellcelticcoinageofbritain.com/

Anaximander.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 07:29:12 am »
Here's another valuable online resource for Celtic coins in Britain, and yet another spin-off from a popular reference book: Iron Age Coins in Britain .  In this case, the book, published in 2010, is Ancient British Coins ("ABC") by Chris Rudd.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity