Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Offprint acquisitions  (Read 708 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Offprint acquisitions
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:04:49 pm »
Hi,

The nice thing about offprints is that they sometimes have dedications from and to some well known numismatists, a delight that I first had when I was a research student under John Casey when he handed me boxes of material when he was clearing his Durham University office on his retirement.

After three years I've finally got around to adding some copies of papers and some journal offprints into my library filing system that I'd been amassing over the last few years and came across some gems that I didn't know I had. Scholz's paper on Roman lead tessarae from the NZ from the 1890's and two parts of an Andreas Alfoldi work from the ZfN. These were in a batch from the library of the classical scolar Lothar Wickert (1900-1989).

Still ploughing through the pile  ;D.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Offprint acquisitions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:22:10 pm »
Mauseus.

Interesting post. The trouble with offprints is paralleled by what Mauseus says is nice about them. They are very tough to logically file and physically organise, which indeed leads to them being put in boxes for Mauseus to open with delight many decades later.

If any of your offprint trove includes any works by Max Bahrfeldt, or by Alfoldi relating to Republican coinage, or other material I might like, it would be interesting to discuss if some form of swap was possible - a bound book for a handful of offprints perhaps!

Andrew

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:39:54 am »
Hi,

I will look out for that sort of material, although I recall aiming for things I was actively interested in at the time. There may be some republican items in there, who knows.

Re offprints in general I do have some offprints of papers of F W Madden (if I recall) from Numismatic Chronicle in the 19th century that have been hard bound into a useful single volume, possibly contemporaneously.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 07:45:00 am »
Thanks Mauseus I appreciate that. What triggered my interest was the German connection. Where there's Alfoldi, Bahrfeldt or Haeberlin might not be far behind, and all three wrote extensively on the Republic.
Andrew

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:28:24 pm »
I bought a couple of offprints from a bookseller in England a few years ago and to my delight, I
noticed on the inside pages were marked ex-Libris John Kent (one of the RIC authors) with
many notes made in pencil inside. Inside one of them was an empty envelope addresses
to John Kent, of the heavy, expensive type usually used for important invitations.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity